Thread: How do I get Spybot to run on Firefox?

Default How do I get Spybot to run on Firefox?

I am ok on Internet Explorer, it is on Firefox that I am experiencing problems protecting the browser from harm.
    Firefly. Member of Cubed3. Also a virus hater. BURN SPYWARE SCUM!

Hello,

Which problems do you have exactly?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Are you using any Firefox Extensions ?

Firefox and SpyBot are great programs. I use both and will continue to use both.

However, I don't use Spybot to protect my Firefox - I use Firefox extensions. If you know what I'm talking about, then please accept my apologies.

If you want to try any then I would suggest a) NoScript, b) Adbloc Plus but not c) Extended Cookie Manager (unless you are very determined).

No script has a different approach to Spybot (different does not mean better). Spybot uses a (long) blacklist of sites you had better hope you never go near. You benefit from many other people's bad experience. NoScript uses a short white list you know you can trust. You benefit from your own good experience. (My white list is so short it consists of just my own router and paypal.com).

If you click on a link that redirects you to God knows where, some Java Script may have infected your PC before the web page even begins to appear. Not so with NoScript. No Java Script is allowed to run on sites that are not on your white list until you decide it is safe.

AdBlock Plus is so effective and popular that web advertisers want Firefox banned . It blocks images, pop-ups etc from known sites. You can subscribe to lists of advertising sites but also to lists of tracker sites. This latter is essentially one of the jobs that SpyBot does very well in the Other Browser but AdBlock was designed from scratch to work with Firefox. You get a ad or pop-up you don't like and it's a mouse click or two to add it (and similar urls) to your Adblock black list and it (and they) will never bother you again.

The basic cookie management in Firefox is enough for most people. Go to Options/Privacy and check "Accept cookies from site" and "Until I close Firefox" and tracker cookies just don't survive long enough to do their job.

I am having problems with pop ups. ones caused by Backdoor.Win32.Iroffer. Yeah, they don't cause me any problems on IE 7 (due to the fact that Resident IE is on) But it does annoy me. Some of the pop ups are explicit. So explicit that I ain't gonna tell you them.

EDIT: Just immunized Firefox. That should do the trick!
    Last edited by Firefly; 2007-11-24 at 12:53.
    Firefly. Member of Cubed3. Also a virus hater. BURN SPYWARE SCUM!

Smile But check this first ...

In Firefox drop down the Tools menu and select Options. From Options select the Context tab. Check the «Block popup windows» box to stop pop-ups.

When Firefox blocks a pop-up a note to that effect should appear (at the top of the page) and you get the option to view the pop-up.

You can white-list pop-ups you don't want blocked. I've only ever white-listed two pop-ups. These were on web-sites that demanded I log-in and used a pop-up to handle the login.

It also possible to configure Firefox so that pop-up windows appear in new tabs instead of pop-up windows.