Thread: 2 Stupid questions

Default 2 Stupid questions

Thank you for such a great product.
    My AV (AVG) detected Icesword as a generic trojan. Just out of curosity is Spybot set to not detect Icesword or does it not use heuristics(spelling is probabilly off).
    Question two I have finall gotten smart and started using a the suggested account for surfing. I like the abitlity If I Lock down IE throught spybot will it still apply to my limited account or do I have to set spybot as an admin and the go back to limited? Question three I know there is a host file but can you edit the host file to redirect people from unwanted sites. Say I want to go to www.123.com and my wife disagrees can spybot hosts be edited to prevent me from seeing 123.com

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehorse View Post
    Thank you for such a great product.
    My AV (AVG) detected Icesword as a generic trojan. Just out of curosity is Spybot set to not detect Icesword or does it not use heuristics(spelling is probabilly off).
    hello,
    no Spybot S&D does not detect Icesword and is not supposed to.

Question two I have finall gotten smart and started using a the suggested account for surfing. I like the abitlity If I Lock down IE throught spybot will it still apply to my limited account or do I have to set spybot as an admin and the go back to limited?
    You will need to immunize both accounts. For instance a restricted account may not be able to write the hosts file or immunize the Internet Explorer for another account.

Question three I know there is a host file but can you edit the host file to redirect people from unwanted sites. Say I want to go to www.123.com and my wife disagrees can spybot hosts be edited to prevent me from seeing 123.com
    Spybot S&D does not support editing the hosts file manually. Using Spybot S&D (in advanced mode) you can add/remove the Spybot S&D hosts list and you can remove selected hosts file entries.
    However if you want to manually add a site to the hosts file you can do this using a text editor. The hosts file is located in c:\windows\system32\etc\drivers\hosts , just open it with a text editor and add the hosts you want to block. Note that the hosts file does not have a file extension, also note that you should disable "hide known fileextensions" within the windows explorer options, otherwise you do not see the difference.

To add an entry to the hosts file, for instance the site listed above:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1  123.com
    127.0.0.1  www.123.com
    Also note, that a host
    Code:
    abc.123.com
    would not be blocked with the 2 lines above added to the hosts file. You would need to add it too.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Thank you for the help.It answered what I needed to know.For the moment at least.
    "I love being married.
    It is so great to find that one special person you want to annoy, for the rest of your life."
    -tg1911 at BleepingComputer