Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TeaTimer - Memory Usage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default TeaTimer - Memory Usage

The teatimer.exe process is using between 17-19MB of my memory now and I just wondered if there was any way of decreasing this figure? I've read it should only be using around 5MB...

Whilst I think of it, I have quite a few allowed registry processes/blocked processes in the black and white list. Can I clear all these out?

Lightbulb you most certainly can!

Quote Originally Posted by em1500uk View Post
    Whilst I think of it, I have quite a few allowed registry processes/blocked processes in the black and white list. Can I clear all these out?
    right click teatimer and click settings.........when the box pops up u can click the black x and keep clicking them all to delete all of them. cycle thru all the things to delete the others in the other categories.

as for it taking more ram, that could possible be a solution to that problem. hope that helps!

I have a similar problem on 3 different machines, except memory usage is about 34MB!

I've also wondered why a 'timer' program should be such a memory hog, as well as why it requires nearly 100% CPU on startup (30+ seconds).

BTW: one of these machines is even using the latest "Halloween" update.

Exclamation first of all....

Quote Originally Posted by mcowen View Post
    I have a similar problem on 3 different machines, except memory usage is about 34MB!

I've also wondered why a 'timer' program should be such a memory hog, as well as why it requires nearly 100% CPU on startup (30+ seconds).

BTW: one of these machines is even using the latest "Halloween" update.
    everyone here should upgrade to the latest addition of spybot found on the home page. Then try the solutions i offered.
    Please read this information about TeaTimer:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html

and

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/34.html

If you surf the web and without any user interaction the teatimer pops up and warns about a registry change it is better to "deny", but if you install something by yourself it is OK to "allow" the change. I put this here to just let all of you know and be informed about what exactly teatimer does, etc.

Default Tea TImer cpu usage at 70-80%

For ur info. my xp, sp2, 2.? ghz using tea 1.5.2 was using the 70-80% and 55mb of mem. I followed suggestion to right click settings, and deleted estimated 12-15 blocked and allowed (total both) and this reduced to 2-5% and some 35mb memory.
    So far, so good.
    Thanks for ur posts.
    Pauley

Bringing up an old issue maybe.
    However since I posted here once I'll post again.

Had to reformat and reinstall windows XP up to service pack 2.
    Got the newest spybot (1.6) tea timer was running as usual to a point.

Upon installing World of Warcraft, and running the update patches, teatimer has freaked out on me. I double click the patch.exe and everything comes to a stand still. When task manager finally opens, I see teatimer at 99 cpu and eating up memory like it's out of style.. Killed the process twice now, first was 530,000k memory, rebooted and tried patching again. This time it was up to 750,000k of memory.

Now that is definitely a problem. After WoW is up to date I'll try uninstalling spybot and reinstalling, see if it happens again.

Still a basic setup, have SpyWare Blaster and Zone Alarm 7.0.4. Not much else is installed yet.

Smile

SuperD38,

You have tacked onto the end of a relatively old thread. There has been a beta release of a new version of Teatimer for Spybot 1.6 that may help you, however as with all beta releases, using it is at your own risk. I have had it running on 3 XP machines without any problems for some time now, as have others.

The best approach is to read right through the thread at http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30994 so you are fully aware of some of the issues. The link to the beta version of teatimer is in the post
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...8&postcount=21

Teatime is actually offering a large amount of real time protection, and it will use up resources to do so (there is no such thing as a free dinner). On modern fast platforms with lots of memory its protection far outweighs the small impact on performance. On older, slow and perhaps memory starved platforms (by todays standards) its impact on performance may preclude it being used.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-08-05 at 09:15.

Default Memory usage

Right now, on my computer running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, tea tree timer is using 89 MB this is currently the highest memory usage of all the processess running on my comp even beating firefox with 3 tabs open at 86 MB. My avira antivirus only uses 1.4 MB while idle and lavasoft ad aware is only using 1.5 MB. My system does have 4 GB of ram so I think tea timer is just taking greedily as it feels the need to. I guess that is better than using page file cause at least its cpu usage is down at between 1-2 % but it does use a bit more during start up. Thinking of disabeling it or going for syp terminator also free app with active guard.

I'm kinda surprised that lavasoft ad-aware is only using 1.5 MB considering it was a relatively massive 126 MB download compared to 16 MB for spybot + 8 MB for updates

OOPS! Browser hung while posting & sent previous post twice. ADMIN - OK to delete this entry.
    Last edited by mcowen; 2007-11-30 at 00:27.