Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TeaTimer - Memory Usage

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    all the stuff in the list in resident with the post i made above. That will clear everything. I found that over time the teatimer takes more ram and cpu usage when there are more then 20 objects in the list of allowed changes in any tab, such as blocked process, blocked registry change, etc. Also, try exiting teatimer after clearing the items and restart. That has helped me in the past, i hope it helps you guys!
    I have only one blocked registry change, I don't think it can be the cause of 30mb ram usage :P

I have tried doing a complete uninstall and reinstall, but didn't work either.

I thought it was a Vista problem, but a friend above says he's using XP.
    Very strange!

Lightbulb hmmmm....

id advise you to wait for a spybot team member to assist you. I have run out of ideas :( sry....

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    id advise you to wait for a spybot team member to assist you. I have run out of ideas :( sry....
    Yeah man, no problem, I thank you for the answers

30mb of ram is not a lot when having 2gb of ram, but what the heck? it's only a real-time application!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by PiCoPi View Post
    Yeah man, no problem, I thank you for the answers

30mb of ram is not a lot when having 2gb of ram, but what the heck? it's only a real-time application!
    ya, i think mine takes less then that though, the only time i have seen it flare to that much is when i immunize or update spybot. But it doesn't stay with that high of usage....so ya idk.

I even deleted the reg files in C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots2\ folder and rebooted, just to cause teatimer to create new snapshots of the registry.

But it didn't help either!

I to have only 1 entry listed in my black/white list.
    Thats total for all 4 tabs.

At this very moment its using 36,544K
    Spybot ver 1.5.2.0
    System settings protector ver. 1.5.2.16
    That's the newest I'm able to get anyway.

Some system specs; Win XP pro SP1, AMD 2600+ CPU, 1gig Ram, BitDefender 9 pro+ Antivirus.

If something has changed in a recent build, OK. But would think Safer Networking would have noticed a large jump and posted new specs on tea timer.
    Many people are no where near the claimed 5MB use.

Default Tea Timer uses 30M RAM

I once asked the same question...TeaTimer using about 30 Mb, while documentation says 5Mb. For some rason, no matter how many times I asked, they refused to answer. Finally, PepiMK did reply once and said that the 30Mb was proper...the documentation saying it uses 5Mb is old. It is probably worth it...if you use it correctly, it will sbe a lot of useless processes from loading.

Thanks, that may shed some light on it.
    Sure would be nice for an official answer though.

I mean, how hard can it be for an employee or someone to change the "5MB" to "around 30MB"?
    You know, right after I noticed timer using that much I was actually concerned. "Is something "hacking" tea timer?" I thought. "Company that made it says 5mb and I'm at 30+.... What is wrong?"
    Spent time scanning, enabling, disabling, looking all around. Now it turns out it may be normal?
    Time that could have been saved if I had known right?

Just after I posted about timer taking 36MB, I take another look, and it was up to 37MB...

I mean, as a gamer, something using that much memory in the background can cause problems.

Safer Networking, just give us an official answer. Please?

Edit; Ah OK, I see yours now. Wonder why it didn't come up when I did a forum search??
    Anyway, yours is here http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=21655
    Still no official answer I guess.
    Last edited by SuperD38; 2008-03-21 at 05:37.

Default Here is the official response

I got this awhile back...for some reason, it doesn't come up in search:

2008-01-16 05:42
    PepiMK
    Member of Team Spybot

I thought I had updated the documentation quite some time ago :-/
    The 5 MB were from times when TeaTimer was really just monitor registry changes, nothing more, and on older Windows versions. On the XP I use, every application gets at least 4 MB, regardless how small it is. And we now have a full file scanner running in TeaTimer, which scans running processes and the files registry entries may point to. Add the size of the database etc.... 30 to 35 MB seem to be a regular size on XP

http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=176

OK, that answers it then. Thanks doodleswest.

Shame it uses that much. Guess I need to decide which active scanner I trust the most. DitDefenders or Tea Timer. Disable one or the other to save RAM for blasting aliens or something.