Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TeaTimer - Memory Usage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD38 View Post
    OK, that answers it then. Thanks doodleswest.

Shame it uses that much. Guess I need to decide which active scanner I trust the most. DitDefenders or Tea Timer. Disable one or the other to save RAM for blasting aliens or something.
    I suggest you keep TeaTimer. It saved me once from a BHO, which was trojan!

The way it works -taking snapshots to compare previous with current state- makes it reliable.

I also like it being shown in Windows Security Center :P

I have an older machine with 512MB RAM and while I like TeaTimer's protection, it's a bit of a hog at 34MB. Since I ditched Norton and switched to NOD32, with TeaTimer running I have even less Ram than I used to when I had Norton.

Is there any way of optimising this, or do I have to make a difficult decision and switch off TeaTimer and just rely on NOD32?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

matthill:

Quote Originally Posted by matthill View Post
    I have an older machine with 512MB RAM and while I like TeaTimer's protection, it's a bit of a hog at 34MB. ...
    I only have 512 MB of RAM but 169 MB of physical memory (RAM) is available right now with a ton of stuff running including TeaTimer at 31,844K. But that is what Virtual Memory is all about. What isn't currently being used is paged out.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

From last week, TeaTimer was running around 49-50MB of memory when I first installed. I denied ctfmon.exe from starting every time, because it was annoying and it took up memory. I disabled it manually by disabling the advanced language "output" (Regional settings). The process just had to annoy me every time I open IE, wordpad, etc.

To the point. After today's update TeaTimer runs fine at 35MB. Last week it was 50Mb... rivaling Firefox 2. I would suggest TeaTimer because it acts as a secondary Resident Shield next to your primary AV Shield. It saved many others from a trojan.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    I only have 512 MB of RAM but 169 MB of physical memory (RAM) is available right now with a ton of stuff running including TeaTimer at 31,844K. But that is what Virtual Memory is all about. What isn't currently being used is paged out.
    I understand, but virtual memory is not as useful as true RAM for intensive applications like Photoshop -- paging massively slows things down. This is why I'm trying to minimise RAM usage of other programs. TeaTimer's memory usage does seem rather high for what seems to be a rather simple application.

Default Tea TImer cpu usage at 70-80%

For ur info. my xp, sp2, 2.? ghz using tea 1.5.2 was using the 70-80% and 55mb of mem. I followed suggestion to right click settings, and deleted estimated 12-15 blocked and allowed (total both) and this reduced to 2-5% and some 35mb memory.
    So far, so good.
    Thanks for ur posts.
    Pauley

Bringing up an old issue maybe.
    However since I posted here once I'll post again.

Had to reformat and reinstall windows XP up to service pack 2.
    Got the newest spybot (1.6) tea timer was running as usual to a point.

Upon installing World of Warcraft, and running the update patches, teatimer has freaked out on me. I double click the patch.exe and everything comes to a stand still. When task manager finally opens, I see teatimer at 99 cpu and eating up memory like it's out of style.. Killed the process twice now, first was 530,000k memory, rebooted and tried patching again. This time it was up to 750,000k of memory.

Now that is definitely a problem. After WoW is up to date I'll try uninstalling spybot and reinstalling, see if it happens again.

Still a basic setup, have SpyWare Blaster and Zone Alarm 7.0.4. Not much else is installed yet.

Smile

SuperD38,

You have tacked onto the end of a relatively old thread. There has been a beta release of a new version of Teatimer for Spybot 1.6 that may help you, however as with all beta releases, using it is at your own risk. I have had it running on 3 XP machines without any problems for some time now, as have others.

The best approach is to read right through the thread at http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30994 so you are fully aware of some of the issues. The link to the beta version of teatimer is in the post
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...8&postcount=21

Teatime is actually offering a large amount of real time protection, and it will use up resources to do so (there is no such thing as a free dinner). On modern fast platforms with lots of memory its protection far outweighs the small impact on performance. On older, slow and perhaps memory starved platforms (by todays standards) its impact on performance may preclude it being used.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-08-05 at 09:15.

Oh I very much like having teatimer running, just not having it eat up almost all of my system memory.
    1gig total and its taking 750mb?.. Very wrong.

Maybe it just freaked out with those patches, haven't had time to reinstall SpyBot yet. I'll have a read of those posts and maybe try the beta.

First post is about usage at start up, my issue is after running for a while and trying to patch a game.
    Still more to read though.
    Last edited by SuperD38; 2008-08-05 at 20:08.

t-timer beta 1.6.1 is included in today's update
    you might have to check include beta updates to get it