Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how do i remove spybot sddelfile from system!?

PepiMK, this is happening to me again RIGHT NOW (11:00 am EST USA). Are you interested in working with me to debug the problem ? If so, can you contact me right away ?

Basically, I *think* I am getting a reoccurring tea timer message. If I do NOT check "Remember this decision", I think I prevent the run-away infinite loop problem. I presume if I denied the change, that might stop the symptom, but not the basic problem.

If I "allow the change", and do NOT check "Remember this decision", it appears that teatimer is failing to fix the problem and continually generating repeating messages attempting to do so.

I am presuming that I do have a spy ware/aware problem that needs to be resolved, but I believe there is a logic flaw with how it is going about it.

See attached screenshot.

Regards,
    Peter

That screenshot looks like TeaTimer, not the SDDelFile.exe crash mentioned by Cheekybird83 above. I have to test something on Win95 still, if that works fine, I can send you a link to two of the new files I've prepared for the RC, hopefully within the next hour
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default SDDelFile

Here is my runonce registery export.
    Hope this helps.

I don't (yet) understand the cause of this.

Peter

Hmmmmm... ok, that looks indeed like another loop than the one I would have suspected. I'll read through the source again based on that before continuing to finish the RC

What is kind of spooky is that while there are three entries added again and again, they don't have a fixed order really - if the loop would be inside the file removal routine, it would be "sorted", and if the loop would be in Spybot-S&D calling the removal routines again and again, it would be "sorted" as well - always the same order.

88 entries... 32, 22 and 34 times for the three files, so they're not behaving linear...

And it is not TeaTimer causing trouble, since even if TeaTimer would go into a loop, it wouldn't use those random numbers in the value name, that's specific to the removal code in tools.dll...

Well, as I said, I'm going to read some of the code to see where this could come from...

Default SSDelfile.exe file

My daughter is having this very same problem and I have only myself to blame as I downloaded and installed the beta version of Spybot S&D.
    As this is being typed/posted I am having her delete any referance to this file in the registry while in safe mode.
    I hope this is correct as in regular desktop user mode the file SSDelfile.exe loads up continuously with multible referances to this file running in task manager.
    I should have known better than to install a beta version.
    My bad.

Anyone making progress with this? I had the same SDDelfile* msgs. showing after first scan, and multiplying with every restart. Now, 3 days later, uninstalled in safe mode, only to have more than 100 instances of SDDelfile, and at least as many Dr Watson lines showing in task manager. I have not edited registry as yet, kind of hoping to avoid doing that if possible.

Default Workaround on SDDelfile Problem

Hi,

I am a newbe on this forum. I have been using Spybot for years (to my horror recently I discovered since version 1.2!).

I too tried version 1.5 when it first came out, and sadly the complete trust I had built up with it was sorelty temepted when versiobn 1.515 trashed the network of the first customer I installed it on. Cost both of us a little time, money and my reputation was a little dented. Version 1.4 was a complete remedy at the time, but since then I have been trying the various beta 1.5 versions to great effect. I came a cross the SDDelfile problem on a very few 1.518 inbstallations, but a woirkaround I found was to (when the program eventually loaded - great patience needed, not always my greatest asset!) open the advanced section, and examine the startup entries. there appeared to be many different attempts to do something with sddelfile.exe, by what are presumably different internal users each of which complained about not being able to find it. This would explain the extreme lethargy of Windows starting. Once these items were deleted from the startup entries (no need to hack the registry, Spybot has its own built in tool!), Spybot and windows, and the rest of the system behaved as normal. Although I waited until windows started in norm,al mode, if some systems hang on startup, Spybot will still run in safe mode, and can be used to delete the startup entries while there, ensuring a speedy start when next fired up in normal mode.

Hope this helps.

Mike

If I hadn't been so hasty to uninstall, and thought just a little, I think that I could have done as you did and fixed this with the advanced settings. But, now that I've removed S&D, a new install should still show these startup entries, I hope. Thanks for posting, sometimes the obvious answers elude me!

PepiMK and all,

As a forum newbie I wasn't sure where to make my first post which is related to this problem. See my two posts under "sqlite3.dll and the Programs folder" in "False Positives" on 01/02/08 and 01/03/08 http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=21786

I have verified that the SpybotSD.exe I am using mentioned in my 01/03/08 post and suggested by Team Spybot to fix the slow startup problem is marked v1.5.1.18, the one referred to by others in this thread.

As mentioned in my 01/03/08 post referred to above, I am a new user of Spybot and the forums so I am unsure about cross posting. Clearly my problem is related to what is described in this thread though no one else seems to have encountered so many RunOnce registry entries for SDDelFile.exe as I have. Whether this is an infinite loop I can't tell but it certainly did generate a lot of entries and completely bogged down my primary machine during normal startup as described in the referenced posts. I don't know whether the multiple RunOnce entries were generated during the original attempt to remove sqlite3.dll or by some subsequent Spybot S&D problem during the next system boot related to TeaTimer or other resident functions of S&D, if any. I just want to be sure I eliminate whatever generated the entries before attempting to run in normal mode again.

My primary system has been down (well basically unusable in safe mode only) for 3 days now over year end and new year. I really need to get it up and running again. So I am assuming from what I read here that I should 1) go ahead and delete all the RunOnce SDDelFile.exe entries from the two hives where they appear and that to avoid a repeat of this problem 2) I should uninstall in safe mode and 3) not run the v1.5.1.18 beta or any other beta again until there is an official release that fixes the slow startup problem.

Please confirm that if I take these steps it is likely that I will be rid of this problem.

I have an exported version of the RunOnce entries if that would be useful for debugging.

Thanks, Thos

It should be sufficient to just delete the SDDelFile.exe file - in that case, Spybot-S&D will revert back to sheduling removals through command/cmd like it always did in previous versions. It would be useful to know whether that would go into the same eternal loop as well.

Regarding crashes, I've spent a lot of time the past days updating our exception reporting system and integrating it into the forum software. Once that is finished, exception handling will be easier, and I'll make a version of SDDelFile.exe available that allows to submit a crash report when it shows an "access violation" like it sometimes did here, for example. The forum integration would also allow you to view the status of any report that included the email address you used to sign up here.