Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot Christmas Presents, Part 1: Bootable CD

Lightbulb this would be a vry useful tool

i like the idea!

Just curious, when using this would the user need to burn a new Boot CD to have current updates, or is there another way to use a bootable CD with current detections? For instance I use the AVG Rescue CD for viruses, and the Boot CD Image gets updated every 4 months or so, but it allows you to update the definitions from a removable drive or the internet if your NIC has the drivers in the Boot CD image.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Creating the CD is a bit different I'm afraid. On XP Pro 64 bit it works for sure :D
    Microsoft designed it for the newest OS onl though... Here you can see a list of what they say these tools support:
    • Windows Server 2003 SP1; Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista
    • Windows XP SP2 with KB926044
    • Windows Server 2003 SP1 with KB926044
    • Windows Server 2003 SP2
    • Windows Vista family
    XP SP2 is surely named there; and I think while the first one probably means the 64 bit version (since that is more 2003 than XP), the second mentioning should really mean 32 bit XP.

If this is all too bad, we might have to think about using a third-party extracting for those .wim files I guess, if one exists.
    well... It does not support Windows 2000 SP4...... but never mind. Can u let us know if there is any third-party extracting softwares/applications which can do similar functions?

Yes, I think it should allow dynamic live CD updates. That's a feature we added for the BartPE version some time ago already - updates would get downloaded to the RAM disk and used from there, regardless of the burnt ones.
    I guess the problem here would be to add NIC drivers, I didn't deal with that yet, but it should be possible (BartPE can do that as well ^^).
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Ran from Windows Server 2003, no problems at all. Would it be possible to add a Browse button for the AIK Installation Location or to have it read the location from the registry? Not a problem really, but it may be easier for some people who don't use the standard install of the AIK. Other than that working fine and a nice tool to have.

Thanks for the report, added 2003 Server to the list of working OS's, and added your feature request here (indeed a good idea, I admit I spent most of the time on the functionality only, and not a lot on the GUI so far, having a browse button is really standard ;-) )

Basically it is a Windows PE 2.0 with Spybot in it. Wouldn't it be rather simpler to make a portable version of spybot and put it on windows pe 2.0 tools folder while building it?

Just one more question as I didn't test this yet. Does it have a graphical user interface or just runs on command line just as the windows pe 2.0?

Anyway, it is great to see new tools coming out...

Yes, it's the full graphical version; the command line version is only used in the distributed testing thing currently.

What is "rather simpler" usually depends You could use Spybot-S&D for example with a BartPE CD for years. But you would need to copy the files into a special folder &c.; this one is aiming to get as much a one-click solution that would allow unexperienced users to create a CD to scan their system.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Yes, it's the full graphical version; the command line version is only used in the distributed testing thing currently.

What is "rather simpler" usually depends You could use Spybot-S&D for example with a BartPE CD for years. But you would need to copy the files into a special folder &c.; this one is aiming to get as much a one-click solution that would allow unexperienced users to create a CD to scan their system.
    Well, I am glad it has a GUI. Command line make us waste a lot of time, which is needed to fix whatever needs to be fixed.

The only reason why I wondered if wouldn't be easier to develop a portable version of Spybot is that I am aiming to build my own winpe 2.0 and add a few tools that I consider essential, and that also includes, of course, security software such as Spybot. But for what I can understand from your words this project is aiming to be a one-click solution, which would also mean it would be possible to add it to winpe 2.0, or where ever people want to add it. Or am I just being silly?

So... anyway... as I mentioned before it is great to see a new tool coming out and I wish the best of lucks for it!!!!

I would love this. I have worked on some computers that were nothing short of a pain in the a__ to get rid of some nasties!
    WinXP Home SP2 up to date, Dell Dimension 3000 P4 w/HT 3ghz 512mb ram, AVG free 7.5, Spybot S&D 1.5.2, Linksys broadband router hardware firewall