Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot Christmas Presents, Part 1: Bootable CD

Cool Could this program be ported toward a Linux Based Live CD

I heard of a few live CDs that have been successful tools to bypass the entire windows OS and do its thing.

This looks like a great idea! I highly support any effort to make this easier!

I'm a very literal user, so when I read instructions, and it says, go to Microsoft and download the Windows Automated Installation Kit, I try to do that. As I read through your instructions, I had the feeling that the first part of the instruction was a sort of preview of what would be required to make this disk. If this is the case, it would be helpful to start the instrutions with "This is what all you will be asked to do and this is what all you'll be able to do when you haven completed the instructions." For me the literal user, this means - hold on .. these are not yet the actual instructions. I know a lot of time has passed since the last posts, but I hope to see the new set of instructions in this thread and have a chance to try out your great idea!

Alenz

Well there hasn't been much said on this thread for a bit so I figured I would share this as a "Just in case." I have been using the Vista AIK for my SpyBot CD build files, everything had been fine. I recently updated my AIK to the Vista SP1 AIK from MS, and had errors trying to build afterwards.

After I updated Vista AIK, Spybot CD Creator could not find three files

oscdimg.exe
    peimg.exe
    imagex.exe

I copied the files from the default location to the following locations and the CD creator worked.

...\Windows AIK\Tools\peimage.exe
    ...\Windows AIK\Tools\imagex.exe
    ...\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\oscdimg.exe

May or may not help anyone but I love the boot cd and use it frequently.

Default Make sb cd easier

i was just wondering if it would be possible for you guys to put up a already made SB cd to download so that all we have to do is download and burn instead of having to install more apps to do it.
    For the fastest, safest browsing experience get Google Chrome

Well, Windows is copyrighted by Microsoft, so that would need Michosofts permission. While Windows PE is not the regular expensive standard Windows license, it's not free either. See the WAIK_LICENSE.rtf file:
    3. Scope of license. [...]
    You may not
    [...]
    * publish the software [Win PE] for others to copy;
    [...]
    * transfer the software or this agreement to any third party; or
    So the license would not allow us to offer a ready CD. Feel free to ask Microsoft to make an exception for us

(we thought about making a Linux CD using Wine, but Wine doesn't support existing standard registry hives imho, and just scanning the files and not the registry might cause more trouble then help)
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

yes well i wouldn't want you guys to get into trouble so i guess that idea is a no go but i will try and see if there is a way that microsoft might let you do it its a long run but anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

What are the minimum system requirements for this boot CD? I just tried it on a machine that's about 3 years old and I get a blue screen during the standard Vista loading screen (the one with just the green bar and the words "(C) Microsoft Corporation").

The message on the blue screen is SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED. Any clues? The same disc works fine on other machines.

The latest AIK is Vista based, so it might be similar to absolute minimum Vista requrements

3 years old shouldn't be a problem there though, I used older Vista testing machines already.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

This issue is resolved for me, but as you're the developer I figured I'd tell you what I did:

I did some googling on that BSOD message and it seemed like it might be an I/O issue with the DVD drive. So I tried booting from an external USB DVD drive and got the issue SESSION1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED.

At this point I didn't know what the issue was but it certainly seemed to be specific to that individual machine - the same disc booted fine on the 4 other machines I tried it on, including a laptop of similar vintage.

Ultimately my solution was to remove the hard disk from the machine I wanted to clean off, put it in another machine, and boot. The S&D boot disk worked, and that machine (I'm happy to admit, it wasn't my machine) is now spyware-free. Cheers! Thanks for your hard work on this.

Default problem with making the cd

i downloaded the boot CD creator and make it to step 3 and then i got this message

Press the Finish button to start creating the CD.
    Started creating CD...
    Copying spybotsd...
    Application menu created.
    Copying operating system files...
    Mounting image file system...
    Executing C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe...
    ImageX Tool for Windows
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-2005. All rights reserved.
    Mounting (RW): [C:\SpybotBootCD\winpe.wim, 1] ->
    [C:\SpybotBootCD\Mount]
    Error mounting image (RW):
    Mount Error: GLE = -2145452012
    Something went wrong, system hive file does not exist!
    CD was not prepared sucessfully!

i dont know what to do i tried it several time and it was just the same thing
    Last edited by TwistedMike; 2008-12-29 at 20:28.