Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Spybot Christmas Presents, Part 1: Bootable CD

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Not sure about the RAM disk issue. The tool more or less follows the default MS recommendation to create such a malware repair CD, I do not remember visible parameters no tweak that behaviour. How much memoy has the system you try the CD on?
    224MB of RAM, some parts of RAM are taken from the integrated graphics card.

Default Great tool.

I have used Barts PE with Spybot SE for years with great success but I started getting errors when SB updated to 1.6. SB 1.4 would report problems with the definitions.

I'm happy to have a second bootable CDROM for SB 1.6 and your other plugins.

Unfortunately I can't add any drivers for Network cards and that prevents downloading updates directly.

How about providing a way we can add current definitions for SB 1.6 on one PC and then burn another CDR with those definitions to take to the problem PC.

I have tried and spent altogether too much time to find a Barts PE plugin for SB 1.6 which in my case would be the ideal but as I said I can live with a 2nd bootable CDROM.

It would be nice to have the possibility to add ahci controllers and network cards drivers and also choose if create a 32bit or a 64bit CD.

Angry

I have followed all the instructions and everything works great, right up to an including booting from the CD. However, once the CD boots, I have no way to select programs from the interface - my mouse and keyboard do nothing!

What do I need to do?

Thanks!

I just thought, maybe I have no USB driver. Will plugging in an old mouse/keyboard into the mouse/keyboard jacks work?

There is a guide to make plug-ins?

for example to take a file from "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\My application\file.dat" can I use "<required>[$ALLUSERSPROFILE]\Application Data\My application\file.dat</required>"?

@Tommy Bear: I have to admit the CD itself is a bit "raw". It offers the basics, not everything custom PE CDs might offer. Non-USB devices are probably better supported, but I'm a bit astonished that yours aren't. Are they directly attached, or through an USB hub? Bare Vista has problems with the later.

We do plan a much improved version as soon as we have more clarity from MS about licensing (regarding: offering finished CDs for those who find the tools & download requirements to much hazzle).

@ale5000: I've started documenting it here, but will need to read up a few things in the source to make sure its all correct. Might take a few days.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

What happens if an application use files from two different folders?
    Last edited by ale5000; 2009-03-13 at 23:40.

@PepiMK: Have you tried to put many applications on the cd? some are shown at the right, out from the screen and also the icon of applications added by me aren't the icon of executables.

Also would be nice the possibility to add a service since there are applications that need it.
    Last edited by ale5000; 2009-03-15 at 00:59.

Smile Adding updated detection rules

I have found that by downloading and installing the latest detection rules on my PC and then copying them to "C:\Program Files\Safer Networking\Spybot-S&D Boot CD creator\plugins\Includes" when I build the Spybot BootCD these rules are applied to the BootCD.

I have also found that when I build my BootCD the Update.exe and Uninstall.exe are shown on the taskbar. Would there be a way to prevent this? We can't use either of them and they occupy extremely rare taskbar space. Would it be possible to use the desktop to show available applications?

Now I have to say this is turning out to be an excellent exercise.

Thanks for the work.

Update.exe and Uninstall.exe? Actually SDUpdate.exe and SDShred.exe should receive menu items. You could edit the plugins\spybotsd.xml file to remove the menuitem attributes from those you do not want to be listed. I'm still updating the wiki and working more an the code to improve that part currently
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)