Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The latest Spybot sucks!

Default The latest Spybot sucks!

Crashes, hangs, locks up and that's before you even get it installed. IF... BIG IF.... you can finally get it installed, you will only find a slow agonizing PC gasping for resources as spybot sucks down every last one as it tries so desperatly to even run.

What happened? Used to be the slickest thing around, then the big teatimer dialog screw up and has been going downhill ever since, this release gets flushed down my cyber toilet!
    Last edited by newspybotsucks; 2007-12-18 at 04:41.

Hello.

Quote Originally Posted by newspybotsucks View Post
    Crashes, hangs, locks up and that's before you even get it installed. IF... BIG IF.... you can finally get it installed, you will only find a slow agonizing PC gasping for resources as spybot sucks down every last one as it tries so desperatly to even run.

What happened? Used to be the slickest thing around, then the big teatimer dialog screw up and has been going downhill ever since, this release gets flushed down my cyber toilet!
    Interesting choice of username and message.

Would you care to post details, such as your operating system, RAM and Spybot-S&D version: Open Spybot Search & Destroy > Help > About.

Also, what other security software do you have installed, possibly there is a compatibility problem.

Regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

As a computer tech, I've seen the exact same thing in several situations. All are running Windows XP Home, Media Center, or Pro, or Windows 2000 Pro.

Various Anti-Virus programs were installed (Norton, McAfee, AVG, PC-Cillin, etc.). Sometimes, no Anti-Virus was installed. Didn't matter if the Windows Firewall was on or off.

It also doesn't matter what hardware, though it takes 5-10 mins for it to start on older (Pentium III, older Pentium 4, Celeron, Sempron, Athlon) systems. It takes about 2 mins for it to start on newer systems.

One thing to note... I keep an install copy of Spybot 1.4 around the shop, and that starts immediately, and runs much faster than 1.5 does.

Hello,

We already have located the startup problems in Spybot S&D version 1.5 and fixed it.
    Here is the download file for the fix: the new Spybot beta

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Maqattaq - I have no idea why you make the statement you do. I am currently running on an Athlon 2200 machine with sufficient RAM and HDD space.I am a retired IT engineer and tech type. The new release is much faster than the one before it. I do NOT/did NOT wait more than 45 seconds for S&D to load any version to date.
    Programs that run in the background are sources of conflicts. Many people have been known to overdo their anti--whatever to the point of near lockup. You only need 1 anti-virus (of your choice) available along with S&D. I do NOT run either except to do maintenance on my systems. I also run another anti-spyware/malware program as a backup to S&D. If you are seeing severe slowdowns consider what is running that can be turned off. I am a firm believer that the firewall built into my router along with the common sense we all possess is generally enough to prevent me and clients from going where the big threats are. Good luck and happy holidays

Somehow the term "Ingrate" comes to mind.

Not me! I've been using Spybot S&D for years and have found it an excellent program to (help) keep a computer safe from spyware.

Sorry guy and gals, I don't like TSR's like the "Tea Timer" so never let it install, but other than that, I'm a totally dedicated Spybot user. I've recommended it to users on technical help forums all over the world.

The only problem I've ever had with it was in version .15 when it took so long to load. But the upgrade to .17 took care of that nicely and I've said so in many tech forums.

Keep up the good work,,,,,you've got one dedicated user right HERE!

Merry Christmas Everyone!
    The Doctor
    A person with experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument.

I had the same trouble with spybot at startup. and even worse: when i ran a scan, it somehow crashed my internet connection, meaning, i was still connected to my w-lan-accesspoint, and my dsl-modem was sitll connected to the internet, but windows kept telling me my network had no internet connection.

cancelling spybot, disconnecting from my accesspoint, then reconnecting solved the issue, but during the scan: no connection possible.

Your little fix fixed the slow startup for me, why dont you send it along with the usual updates???

just scanning and checking whether it also fixed this problem.

otherwise it always was a great help using spybot!
    thanks!

I've been using spybot for years now and think it's great - or I did until v.1.5 came along. I installed that and, yuk! Took forever to load and then crashed.

Tried it for a while but probs didn't go away. So uninstalled.

Thought I try again today - but same probs. So, uninstalled and installed 1.4 instead. Which is great! I'll try 1.5 again when all bugs are removed.

Meanwhile, thanks for a great product - at least until 1.5¬

Hello banksider.

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

We already have located the startup problems in Spybot S&D version 1.5 and fixed it.
    Here is the download file for the fix: the new Spybot beta

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    We do provide this support forum in order to try and help people.

So if folks experience a problem please provide details, so that we can work towards a resolution.

Best wishes.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Restore to before

Spybot is worst that usless. I will tell all my friends to stay away from it. It blocks sites that you don't want blocked and is impossible to get the hell off the computer.