Thread: HELP - Spybot deleted my Program Files!

Default HELP - Spybot deleted my Program Files!

Ran Spybot as part of a maintenance last night. This morning, none of our programs worked. I found all the programs in a file called AntiVirGear1.zip in a Spybot directory.

I tried to move the files back to their original locations, but the Zip file is requiring a password. What is it?

I tried to recover it from within Spybot, but the only "recovery" files I show are small spyware files that Spybot deleted long ago. How do I use Recovery when I can't select the Items I want to recover.

I am fine with using either option, but need to know fast! Got angry lawyers looking over my shoulder.

Thanks!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Ghitming:

By default the recovery files for Spybot-S&D are stored in the following locations:
    • Windows 95 or 98:
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
    • Windows ME:
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
    • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
    • Windows Vista:
      C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery

The recovery files themselves are stored in password protected zipped folders within the Recovery directory. The password is there to prevent other security software from misidentifying the files as malware and to prevent the accidental deletion of the files. All actions normally required to use and maintain these files can be done from within Spybot's recovery facility, i.e. recover, delete.

Firstly, I would appreciate if would provide the actual detections that you received and fixed so that if possible if can determine if there is a defect in the "Check for problems", "Fix selected problems" and the storing of the "Recovery" files. There are several way to do that:
    • Method 1:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Look for the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that was produced when you found and fixed the detection you are questioning. Open it. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.
    • Method 2
      • The Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
        • Windows 95 or 98:
          C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows ME:
          C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows Vista:
          C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.

Note: By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm logs produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm log is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

If you think that you can facilitate your recovery outside of Spybot's recovery facility, the password for the zipped folders within Spybot's recovery directory is "recovery" (no quotes).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thank you. I restored the files and things are working fine. I will post the logs for you later afterhours. The machine is currently in use.