Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot causes shut down

Default Spybot causes shut down

After removing a TON of malware from this PC, Spybot-S&D still shuts down Windows in the middle of the scan.

I had to use Ad-Aware, Giant AS, ETRemover, HiJackThis to get rid of all the malware on this PC. But ever time I ran S-S&D it would shut down the PC.

I have finally got it to the point where all these other programs come up clean, but S-S&D still shuts down the PC in the middle of the scan.

Any ideas?

dgw

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dgwilson
    ... shuts down Windows in the middle of the scan. ... shuts down the PC in the middle of the scan.
    Can you explain? Is Windows restarting or is the PC prowering down? Do you get any messages?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

PC just powers down. No messages, nothing, just poof, power off.

Spybot is quite CPU intensive. It is possible that the CPU overheating and the system is shutting down to protect the processor. Make sure that the fans are running and that dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.

The problem can happen in both desktops and laptops, although the problem is more prevalent in laptops.

If you have a laptop with one of the one of the following processors:
    • Mobile Pentium III-M
    • Mobile Pentium 4-M
    • Mobile Pentium 4
    • Mobile Pentium M / Centrino
    • Mobile AMD

Take a look at following suggestion by 100mill:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

It's a big ol' honkin' Compaq tower.

The CPU & powersupply fans are working but the CPU heat sinks did have a lot of dust on them. I blew it out real good.

Next scan ran fine!

WOW!!! Good call! 'tu U da MAN (or WOMAN, as it may be!)

thx

dgw
    Last edited by dgwilson; 2006-02-01 at 01:37.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad that you were able to get Spybot running without the PC shutting down.

Now I've got a problem. I believe that most people think I'm crazy for suggesting that the shutdown may be heat related rather than a Spybot software problem. They'll really think I'm a lunatic if I suggest that they blow out their heat sink. So from now on I think I'll just refer them to this thread and that way you can take some of the heat if it doesn't work.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Well, to tell you the truth ... that was MY first reaction. "no way! this guy's just making WILD guesses!" But, lo and behold! it really, actually worked!

Thx again for not being afraid to stand up and be heard.

I'll be GLAD to recommend this fix (and will definitely add it to MY bag of tricks!) to anyone who doubts its efficacy.

dgw

+++++++++++++++++++
    “If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.” -- Abraham Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad that you were able to get Spybot running without the PC shutting down.

Now I've got a problem. I believe that most people think I'm crazy for suggesting that the shutdown may be heat related rather than a Spybot software problem. They'll really think I'm a lunatic if I suggest that they blow out their heat sink. So from now on I think I'll just refer them to this thread and that way you can take some of the heat if it doesn't work.

Thanks again for the feedback.
    not to sound disrespectful but ive already checked the fans they are all super clean i just dont understand why it keeps shutting down we even got the power supply changed and that seemed to sort it out for a little while but then two days ago poof computer turned off

it seems to be while scanning but has turned off once or twice whilst not scanning but its almost always while scanning

i even tried spyware doctor but that turned off during scanning as well it stopped while scanning guids if that means anything
    however ad aware will scan all the way to the end even on full deep scan so now my head really hurts and i dont have a clue whats wrong

any help would be appreciated cheers

If cleaning doesn't work for some people, Ive seen some spyware/malware that actually disables Ad-Aware and Spybot from completing scans. If cleaning doesnt work and you cannot run any programs to clean the PC, I wouuld suggest reformating the hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by moldybagel23
    If cleaning doesnt work and you cannot run any programs to clean the PC, I wouuld suggest reformating the hard drive.
    Hello.
    We do not recommend reformats without accessing the system.

Based on the information given in this topic by members, a reformat would be like taking a sledgehammer to a donut.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016