Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smitfraud, Virtumonde and problem restoring

In Memoriam -Always in our heart pskelley's Avatar

Not quite sure what to tell you, you can not get this computer online at all? What happens (messages) when you try to connect. I need more information. If you can not connect to the internet with this computer only, then it may be settings have been changed by the malware. I suggest you ask tech support at your Internet Service Provider to give you a hand, that is what they do.

I would also suggest you plug into the moden (without the router) to see if that helps. I can't make other suggestion until I know more about what is happening.

Thanks
    MS-MVP Consumer Security 2007-08-09
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006

My brother inlaw has some IT expertise, so I asked him to look into the connection problem. Once I get access to the internet, I'll follow your previous instructions. Thanx for all your help.

Thanks a 10-4, here are a couple of ideas you might try for the connection issue.

1) Repair/Reset Winsock settings
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

2) Network Diagnostics for Windows XP is available to help identify and fix network connection problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914440/en-us

3) Network Connections Repair:
    Go to Control Panel > Network Connections.
    Right-click on the network icons and select Repair.
    Alternately, if the network icon appears in the notification area in the lower right corner of your desktop, right-click it, and then click Repair from the shortcut menu.

4) Flush and reset a client resolver cache using the ipconfig command
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Hope that helps
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team
    a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

If it had been 10 days or more since your last post, and especially if the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, the topic will not be reopened.

In that situation, if you still require help, it would be best to start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log with a link to your original thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006