Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Computer destroyed: HELP and BEGGING, puhlease?

Quote Originally Posted by djpailo View Post
    I think what has happened is that he has installed SP3 on your machine,
    That should be clarified, there have been a few reports of people experiencing problems with it.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

groucho

KID`S + GAMES + COMPUTER`S - (-$$-)

Exclamation if i was you

1.) its very weird that you have installed sp3 as i see in the logs.
    2.) use a browser such as firefox or anything that is not Internet explorer. Then go to download.com and in the search box type avast.
    3.) download avast antiviruis.
    4.) install it and choose custom and uncheck the skins option and click next. it will ask if you want to do a boot scan, select no. restart system when prompted.
    5.) right click the avast a icon next to the clock and choose update-program update. (if you dont have Internet, go to another computer and go to avast.com and download the latest updates, its on the left top of the website. copy it to a cd or usb thumdrive and open it on your computer. that will also update avast if your computer doesn't have Internet.) then restart if needed, and run a full boot scan by opening avast antiviruis, wait for the little window to disappear. then a bigger box pops up. Click tools-schedule boot scan. follow the directions. restart when prompted. delete anything that is found.
    6.) after booting up, open your browser and go to download.com again, and type adaware in the search box at the top right of the website. download and install it.
    7.) do a update when notified. and run a full scan. delete anything that is found.
    8.)download spybot helloween edition (by going in the forums) under spybot beta. look for heloween edition and download that. run a full scan. again, delete anything that is found.
    9.)go back to download.com and search for hijack this. download and run that and post a log. This forum might be moved to the malware section, so its prob. ok to do so.
    10.) I, or someone else will be able to look at your scan logs and remove any infection. if this thread is moved to the malware section, i wont be able to assist you, but someone else that is a security expert can.
    11.) I hope this advice helped, feel free to keep posting, and I'm sry that the kid messed up your computer. To be honest, I am young 2 and i actually help ppl with computer probs, i don't cause them. So try not to be so mad at him, he just needs to learn alot more about security, haha. just a bit of advice.
    Last edited by 129260; 2007-12-27 at 08:58.

Hello.

Moving to get this topic back on track here.
    Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    1.)
    9.)go back to download.com and search for hijack this. download and run that and post a log. This forum might be moved to the malware section, so its prob. ok to do so.
    10.) I, or someone else will be able to look at your scan logs and remove any infection.
    Please do NOT post hjt logs in the Spybot forum,

Anyone needing assistance to remove an infection not removed by normal means should start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum after following instructions here: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

The original thread is getting a little lost now, groucho if you would like to post a HJT log in the malware forum I will ask a helper to take a look.

Other than that it would be helpful to see the top of the Spybot log which was cut off when you posted.

It will show which operating system is installed, along with the Service Pack.

Best wishes all.

Arrow sry about that...

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello.

Please do NOT post hjt logs in the Spybot forum,

Anyone needing assistance to remove an infection not removed by normal means should start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum after following instructions here: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

The original thread is getting a little lost now, groucho if you would like to post a HJT log in the malware forum I will ask a helper to take a look.

Other than that it would be helpful to see the top of the Spybot log which was cut off when you posted.

It will show which operating system is installed, along with the Service Pack.

Best wishes all.
    thats why i said if they move it to the malware section she can, cause i know they will. sry if it was written wrong. :/

That should be clarified, there have been a few reports of people experiencing problems with it.
    I have the release candidate and spybot works fine. It was a little sluggish at first, but after a defrag everything was at the speed and performance I had with SP2.

Well after reseaching the beejeebers out of this I think I have determined that Spybot did NOT cause any of this.

I think an electical power issue did because about that time we were beseiged with an ice storm and the accompanying capacitor switching at the generating plants, massive short circuits, etc.

I suspect that took out my modem and all my settings, configurations on a Netgear WGR614 router and in the process REALLY turned Sybot into a mess, and a need to repair my operating system.

My final question and we can call this Resolved, please?

I have the .exe for version 1.4 saved.
    Not quite ready for the new version: yet.

Is this a relatively simple program to Un-install and reinstall (or) are there going to be loads of leftovers in the registry?

Comments and advice much appreciated!

Happy 2008 to everyone as well!

Groucho

Hello,

There should be no problems with a fresh install.
    You can just install it over the old version (if anything is left).

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot