Thread: Smitfraud-C.CoreService - Problem solved or not?

Default Smitfraud-C.CoreService - Problem solved or not?

Hi, first of all I would like to say thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I have read the "before you post" instructions and followed them as closely as possible, please bear with me if I have missed something.

A few days ago, SpyBot S&D found Smitfraud-C.CoreService on my computer. In the information field it said something about how SpyBot S&D might not be able to resolve this problem, and that I might have to manually "close the handles" or something along those lines. I checked the item to be fixed along with some tracking cookies and such, and clicked on "Fix selected problems". Everything seemed to be fixed as normal.

A new scan discovered no threats, so at first I thought I was safe, but after reading up on Smitfraud I became less certain. So, here is what I have done today:

1. I ran the Kaspersky Online Scanner, and saved the log file.
    2. I rebooted in Safe Mode, ran S&D and fixed the single item that was found, just a tracking cookie.
    3. I ran HiJackThis and saved the log file.

I am not sure if I should post the log files from the scans right away or not, so please let me start with this question: Does the fact that S&D did not find Smitfraud on the next scan mean that it is properly fixed/removed?

(FYI, I use Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition, and this program does not find any threats on my computer.)

Hi there.

Helpers will need to see at least the HJT log in order to advise.

Please see the stickied procedure for this forum: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)

Skip the Spybot scan in those instructions and start a new topic, then I will close this one as helpers look for zero response.

Cheers.
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-12-29 at 15:45. Reason: New topic started, closed this one.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016