Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AOL problems w/spybot

Angry AOL problems w/spybot

I downloaded spybot and ran it. It found about 114 things which I "fixed". Now I can't sign on to AOL. It says there are problems with the McAfee firewall now. I never had problems with that before. I checked in McAfee and all the AOL files still have access which goes against what AOL is telling me.

What did Spybot do? If I uninstall Spybott will AOL start to work?

Help?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

lunagal:

What is the actual message you are getting from AOL when you attempt to "sign on to AOL"?

Did the problem actually start after you fixed the 114 problems or is it possible that some other feature of Spybot is causing the problem? For example did you Immunize using Spybot? During the installation did you activate Spybot's Resident SDHelper or TeaTimer?

If you activated Spybot's Resident SDHelper during the installation, check the log to make sure that nothing is being blocked while attempting to access AOL. To access the "SDHelper.log", go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Select the "SDHelper.log" file and open it.

If you activated TeaTimer during the installation of Spybot, have you denied any registry changes that could affect your access to AOL? There are several ways to access the TeaTimer's Resident.log file to check:
    1. Right click on the TeaTimer (Spybot-SD Resident) system tray icon and select Show Log.
    2. Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
    3. Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Select the Resident.log file and open it.
    4. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the Resident.log file located in one of the following directories:
      • Windows 95 or 98:
        C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
      • Windows ME:
        C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
      • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
        C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
      • Windows Vista:
        C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs

Double click on Resident.log file and it should open with Notepad.
    5. Right click on TeaTimer's system tray icon (labeled "Spybot-SD Resident") and select "Show Log".

If you like to post the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log from the running of Spybot when you encountered the problem, we could take a look at the 114 items that Spybot fixed.

Note: By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm logs produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

There are two methods to copy and post the information fron the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log:
    1. Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Look for the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that was produced when you found and fixed the detections you are questioning. Open it. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.
    2. The Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
      • Windows 95 or 98:
      • Windows ME:
        C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
      • Windows Vista:
        C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Oh dear. I don't know. I got this message when I tried to sign on to AOL.

The computer was unable to connect to AOL.

Error: 46-NPQE

We were unable to connect you to the AOL Service. 0x90000000

To fix the problem, try one or all of the following (scroll down for more information):

1. Restart computer.
    2. Check physical connections.
    3. Try connecting to the AOL service again.

Note:
    This message could be the result of an active firewall on your computer restricting the AOLŪ software from making a connection. If you have firewall software installed, please configure it to allow the AOLŪ software (AOLacsd.exe and waol.exe) access to the Internet. (If you need assistance, please contact your firewall software vendor.)

I don't know when exactly the problems started. Just that afterwards, I couldn't sign on to AOL.

I did immunize.

I may have activated the SDHelper and Tea Timber, I'm not sure.

When I got to look for the SDHelper, the advanced mode says it may harm my computer. I'm already lost without my AOL. What will this do if I say yes?

If I just uninstall Spybot, will that restore my AOL sign on abilities?

Thank you for your help and I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Margie

Hello,

It will nothing do to you system if you say yes.
    This is only a notification.
    So please click yes.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

lunagal:

Quote Originally Posted by lunagal View Post
    When I got to look for the SDHelper, the advanced mode says it may harm my computer. I'm already lost without my AOL. What will this do if I say yes?
    It will allow us to see if anything in Spybot's Resident SDHelper is blocking your access to AOL.

There is an alternative to accessing the SDHelper.log through "Advanced mode" which is similar to one of the alternatives I provided for the other information I requested:
    • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the SDHelper.log file located in one of the following directories:
      • Windows 95 or 98:
      • Windows ME:
      • Windows Vista:
        C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs

Double click on SDHelper.log file and it should open with Notepad.

Quote Originally Posted by lunagal View Post
    If I just uninstall Spybot, will that restore my AOL sign on abilities?
    Most likely not if it was something that was done when you did "Select selected problems". That is why it is important to at least provide Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log from when you did the "Select selected problems".

Since the message from ALO indicates that it may be a firewall problem, what firewall do you use?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Spybot / AOL Problem

I've now seen three computers which after running SpyBot, AOL will no longer access the internet via broadband. The program seems to function fine but it will not connect to the internet. Even after AOL is uninstalled and reinstalled, the problem still remains. It's as if AOL will no longer work on that computer. In all three cases, AOL was working fine until SpyBot was used to "fix" problems and immunize.

In each case, the computer was a Dell laptop running Win XP with AOL 9.1.

I have tried, reviewing firewall settings (no problems found), even turning off the firewall completely but this did not help.

Deleting SpyBot doesn't seem to help as well.

I'm lost, any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Truchaos; 2008-02-08 at 05:33.

Default AOL / Spybot Problem

Additional Comment:

I'm not sure of the dates of the "fix" or "immunizations" and there are a lot of log folders. The problem started once I began using the "immunize" feature.

Question

I am having very close to the same problems. I have a Dell desktop though not a laptop.

I downloaded and ran spybot then I was no longer able to sign on to aol. It goes to step 3 "checking password" but stops there after a bit with an error. Error AC-0000. I went through my firewall and and finally disabled it totally as well as uninstalling/reinstalling aol 3 times and still no dice. Same problem. System restore to before I ever ran spybot and still could not log on. Removal of spybot did not fix the problem either.

Any ideas on what to do next? Ive tried all I can think of.

Default UNDO Immunize for AOL

Howdy Y'all !

I'm still struggling thru this and have not checked out the possible solutions mentioned earlier (ie post #2), but I have found that my connection problems with AOL started only after I ran the Immunize app (step 6? of 7 during installation). My AOL connects fine again after I clicked the UNDO Immunize button (which also takes awhile). I also noted that I never had a problem connecting via Internet Explorer.

I found that UNinstalling Spybot did NOT restore AOL connection function, I had to do a Windows System Restore (Start> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore). But as I said above, this is not necessary, as my AOL problem was solved just by UNDOing the Immunize process.

I'll post again when I figure anything more out.

Don
    Last edited by DonCRica; 2008-02-09 at 20:30.

Ok I got mine fixed I THINK! Not 100% sure what did it but looks like a conflict between McAfee and AOL after running spybot. I disabled all of McAfee AGAIN and now can sign back on to AOL. I have turned back on McAfee and it looks like it is in systemguard as that is all I have disabled now.

Not sure I can be anymore help than that though as Im not totally sure that is the problem yet since I did a bunch of disableing/deleteing/restoring also. What can I say I was to the point of total meltdown (me not computer )