Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AOL problems w/spybot

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

miamibucki (Doug):

It seems amazing to me that McAfee a company that provides "Antivirus Software and Intrusion Prevention Solutions" (their words, not mine) recommends the elimination of your Internet Explorer Restricted zone entries to get AOL to work.

Quote Originally Posted by miamibucki View Post
    1. What do I need to do with the domains I exported to my desktop, can I delete them or do I need to save them.
    Entirely up to you. Personally I would restore the registry entries and then do a Spybot immunization "undo" on the "domain" entries (see below) so that I made sure that I was only removing the entries that Spybot placed there.

2. Am I still immunized?
    Not entirely. You removed all the Internet Explorer Restricted zone entries.

3. What happens if I update either Spybot or the immunizations? Do I need to rework the fix?
    Assuming you are running Spybot 1.5.2, under Internet Explorer (32 bit) and Internet Explorer (32/64 bit) do not immunize any profiles listed as (Domains). For example do not immunize:

Internet Explorer (32 bit)
    □ \SOFTWARE (Domains)
    Internet Explorer (32/64 bit)
    □ .DEFAULT (Domains)
    □ Username1 (Domains)
    □ Username2 (Domains)

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for the reply, but you completely lost me. How do you undo and how do you not immunize domains

miamibucki:

Are you running Spybot 1.5.2? If so go into Spybot Immunize. The check in front of the various items in the right hand pane control if that item will or will not be either be immunized or unimmunized depending on which button you use, "Immunize" or "Undo"

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I just wanted to add my experience to this thread as well. I experienced the same problem--I installed Spybot about a month ago, and recently I tried the Immunize feature. Afterwards, I could not log into AOL--it would hang at step 3, Checking Password. The problem is now corrected after I read these instructions and hit Undo.

The only difference is I have an HP, so this isn't an issue strictly with Dell's.

Smile

You have to DISABLE the SystemGuard in McAfee. Open your McAfee Security center - go to "Configure' over on the left- click on "Advanced" and then under Ignored Problems find the checkbox for "SystemGuard protection is disabled"- click the box to the left - you'll now see a checkmark- go to the bottom of page and hit APPLY and then OK. Go back and you should have no problems signing on to AOL.

Quote Originally Posted by alq704 View Post
    You have to DISABLE the SystemGuard in McAfee. Open your McAfee Security center - go to "Configure' over on the left- click on "Advanced" and then under Ignored Problems find the checkbox for "SystemGuard protection is disabled"- click the box to the left - you'll now see a checkmark- go to the bottom of page and hit APPLY and then OK. Go back and you should have no problems signing on to AOL.

We are aware of that "fix" and have discussed it (read previous posts). Do you really want to shut off this McAfee protection? It's not an acceptable workaround.

Default Thanks To All Of You

this post string came up when I ran a search for "AOL MCAFEE CONFLICTS" while trying to help an associate whose AOL browser suddenly stopped working. The "reinstall spybot; undo immunization; uninstall spybot" solved his problem immediately (this after 48 hours of uninstall & reinstall AOL, McAfee, Windows updates, etc.). good thing I found it before I reformatted his notebook.

the cherry on top? I did the same process on my own machine (I had uninstalled spybot months ago) and surprise! switching between AOL user names and logging on is suddenly instantaneous again.

keep up the great work

Default Not wanting to rain on your parade, but...

I had AOL when I first started computing some years back and it immediately evidenced itself with problem upon problem, so unknowingly I switched to Netscape (owned by AOL) and no difference.

Once I got rid of everything AOL/Netscape related, got rid of NIS 2004, ended up with a simple IP like V------ and dumped buggy AV like NIS & KAV (going with B----), I've had exactly no problems except occaisionally needing to clean up the telephone connections.

Again, nobody likes to get rained on, but I know people who won't even look at resumes that are sent by users subscribing to AOL.

We ran into this problem as well with a clients computer. We updated their version of spybot and ended up breaking their aol connection. This is the 2nd problem I have ever had with spybot and it happens to be in the same week.
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-07-24 at 00:16. Reason: removed commercial link in signature as per faqs. ;-)

citacomp:

Were you able to resolve the thread titled "AOL problems w/spybot" from the information provided in this thread?

You indicated:

Quote Originally Posted by citacomp View Post
    ... This is the 2nd problem I have ever had with spybot and it happens to be in the same week.
    At the current time your post count is one (1). Were you able to resolve that problem are is there an outstanding issue?