Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AOL problems w/spybot

I too am on AOL (Dell, with McAfee) and Spybot Immunization blocks my AOL login. I do not want to change McAfee in any way.

I do not want to be without Immunization, either.

Please tell me exactly WHICH programs to ALLOW when I do the Spybot Immunization, in order to keep AOL access. It's not clear to me from this thread, plus I'm not a techie.

(I only have Spybot because someone who no longer lives in my area installed it for me a long while back. We had the same trouble with the Immunizatioon so he did a complete Undo .... but I'm now not wanting to be without Immunizatiopn because there is now a stubborn malware [AntiSpyCheck] on my computer that keeps returning even though I removed and deleted it via Spybot.)

Again, please tell me which item(s) in the Immunization menu to uncheck so that I can log into AOL. Thanks!

(Also, why is there no menu to make these changes before the Immunization even starts? You can't even go to the Immunization page without the lengthy Immunization process starting immediately.)

Arrow

if you are using mcafee and if it hangs while checking password or give an error of ac-0000 or ac-3001, all you need to do is disable system guard.

disabling it would not disable mcafee's antivirus and firewall protection so you remain protected. system guard is there to block some programs from connecting out to the internet. usually, this feature is not so important and it only gives compatibility issues with some programs in some instances.

when full scanning with spybot, it may remove some of aol's 'ad' machine and may result to aol giving off script errors everytime you open it. all you need to do is to go internet explorer's internet options > advanced > then disable script debugging for both internet explorer and 'other'.

this will allow you to use spybot and mcafee to work together with aol. just rememer to *allow all program changes everytime you make an update for either *mcafee or *spybot

*important

Thanks ervin, but that did not answer my question, plus I am not talking about Spybot scan, I'm talking about Spybot Immunization.

To whoever knows the answer to my question, please reply.

Thanks in advance!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

angelofvic:

Actually I think that ervin came up with the best solution yet. It avoids having to eliminate restricted zone entries by disabling the McAfee feature that is actually causing the problem.

To answer your question, you want to "Undo" the immunization on the "Domain" entries. And then not immunize them in the future. See post #21.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I'm having no problem with McAfee and AOL. AOL runs fine with McAfee. I do not wish to modify McAfee, especially since that is not where the problem arises.

The problem arises with Spybot Immunization.

I'll try not immunizing the Domains. Thank you.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

angelofvic:

The problem is with the code in McAfee SystemGuard. From their article:

If you use a third-party application which adds restricted sites to Internet Explorer, you may have difficultly logging in to your AOL account when McAfee SystemGuard is running. If a large number of restricted sites are added to Internet Explorer, it can create a significant increase in processing overhead. This increase in overhead causes a timeout issue when the AOL login process runs and can prevent you from accessing your AOL account.
    Besides Spybot, SpywareBlaster and IE-Spyad also use restricted site entries to prevent malware. The facility for placing sites in different zones and setting various security options based on those zones is built into Internet Explorer for your protection.

Internet Explorer can handle large numbers of entries in the restriced zone so there is no reason that McAfee SystemGuard couldn't be coded properly to handle them. Instead, McAfee instructs you to eliminate the entries from the restricted zone because they can't handle it.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.