Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help! zlob downloader and smitfraud won't go away

In Memoriam -Always in our heart pskelley's Avatar

Thanks for the feedback, sorry about not spotting that right away. Let's see what else we have, will comment on HJT logs starting with the one you just posted.

Scan saved at 6:49:25 AM, on 1/9/2008
    Some advice first, I suggest you purchase games so you can look at the eula or play them online. When you download "free" games they rarely are, often bundled with adware and worse.
    This log appears to be clean of malware.

Chris: Scan saved at 6:46:04 AM, on 1/9/2008
    Appears clean of malware

Roger: Scan saved at 6:41:41 AM, on 1/9/2008
    I see no "malware"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ares] "C:\Program Files\Ares\Ares.exe" -h
    http://www.castlecops.com/startuplist-4801.html
    While the program may not be bad, some of the files that are shared are dangerous and even illegal. I also suggest this never run all of the time and be started and turned off when finished with the program. See this information:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=282
    http://www.nutnworks.com/SafeHex/file_sharing.htm

Logan: Scan saved at 6:43:49 AM, on 1/9/2008
    I see no "malware"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ares] "C:\Documents and Settings\Logan\My Documents\Ares\Ares.exe" -h
    same as Roger

Since I am seeing no malware, and the other issues are for you to consider, let's have Kaspersky check for anything hidden and then I can get you on your way.

Remove Smifraudfix, SDFix and Fixwareout from your computer if you have not done so.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\ <<< empty the Tecovery folder
    http://ict.cas.psu.edu/training/howt...vespybot.htm#1

We have System Restore to clean yet, so expect some infected items, please use these settings.

Check for any updates

* Now click on Scan Settings
    * In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    * Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    * Standard
    * Scan Options:
    * Scan Archives
    * Scan Mail Bases
    * Click OK
    * Now under select a target to scan:
    * Select My Computer
    * This will program will start and scan your system.
    * The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
    * Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    * Now click on the Save as Text button:
    * Save the file to your desktop.

Then post it here.

Thanks...Phil
    MS-MVP Consumer Security 2007-08-09
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006

I am a little confused about some of these instructions, so I thought I had better clear that up before proceeding.
    By the way, thanks for catching the Ares stuff on the scans for the other users - I thought my sons had deleted those, but I guess not.

Here are my questions,..am I to just remove the Recovery folder from S&D? (As described in the Purge Selected Items instructions from http://ict.cas.psu.edu/training/howt...vespybot.htm#1) Or am I to follow all the instructions from this link and remove S&D and re-install?

Later on in your instructions, you said to check for any updates and then you give me instructions on what to do next - I assume these are all instructions for Kapersky, is that correct?

Thanks!!

1) Nope, just dump the stuff in the Recovery folder. "Recovery" In Spybot S&D is like a quarantine folder. In ten years of using Spybot S&D I have never had to restore an item removed in error, but Spybot S&D does make the backups in the unlikely event you need them.

Purge Selected Items

NOTE: If Spybot has found and removed Spyware from your computer, it maintains a list of these items in a Recovery section. These items should be deleted prior to uninstalling SpyBot.

Open Spybot.
    If you have a shortcut on your desktop, double click it.
    or
    Click Start, then All Programs, then Spybot - Search & Destroy and then Spybot - Search & Destroy.
    On the left side, click "Recovery".

NOTE: If this window is empty, you may skip the remaining steps. Exit Spybot. Go to the next section.

Select (place a check) beside ALL the backup files that contain quarantined items.
    Click on the Purge Selected Items button.
    A dialog will appear, stating that the backup will be removed. Click Yes.
    When the Recovery window is empty, Exit Spybot.
    2) I am sorry I was a little confusing, I started here:
    let's have Kaspersky check for anything hidden and then I can get you on your way.

and then went through instructions preceeding actually running the scan, including to:
    Check for any updates
    because the data bases update often and you ran the first scan a few days ago. The balance of the instructions are the setting to use, which may be the same as the first time, just check them please.

Thanks for checking with me and never hesitate to ask questions if you are unsure about something.

Thanks
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006

Thanks for the clarification.
    I'll do this tonight when I get home from work.
    You've been a lifesaver...THANKS!

Thanks for the clarification.
    I'll do this tonight when I get home from work.
    You've been a lifesaver...THANKS!

Here's the Kaspersky log - down to one virus.

I would like to get rid of the Ares files that you suggested in your post earlier today. I tried to find the files to delete them, but couldn't - the program is not loaded on the computer anymore. How do I find them to remove them.....thru HJT?

Sue

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER REPORT
    Wednesday, January 09, 2008 10:57:24 PM
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 5.0.98.0
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 10/01/2008
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 472743
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan Settings:
    Scan using the following antivirus database: standard
    Scan Archives: true
    Scan Mail Bases: true

Scan Target - My Computer:
    A:\
    C:\
    D:\
    E:\
    F:\

Scan Statistics:
    Total number of scanned objects: 160343
    Number of viruses found: 1
    Number of infected objects: 1
    Number of suspicious objects: 0
    Duration of the scan process: 02:09:27

Infected Object Name / Virus Name / Last Action
    C:\9a55c34bcbdb2c804304df\update\update.exe Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\DSS\MachineKeys\aa75ebed54378047725afebe5645ec89_24adf822-76f7-4481-b30b-ff1b40f8687f Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\DSS\MachineKeys\c74c6f795ada87022536668c055d2c0e_24adf822-76f7-4481-b30b-ff1b40f8687f Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\3ad391678a806ec4d691e83aaa393b6f_24adf822-76f7-4481-b30b-ff1b40f8687f Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\9fb6aa263cee3351af77214da239be26_24adf822-76f7-4481-b30b-ff1b40f8687f Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\f33095886242d27cfedaaf5e241be4cf_24adf822-76f7-4481-b30b-ff1b40f8687f Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\eHome\logs\ehRecvr.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates\BOPDATA\_Date-20080109_Time-202337843_EnterceptExceptions.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates\BOPDATA\_Date-20080109_Time-202337843_EnterceptRules.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates\Common Framework\Db\Agent_THONEFAMILY.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates\Common Framework\Db\PrdMgr_THONEFAMILY.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates\VirusScan\AccessProtectionLog.txt Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates\VirusScan\BufferOverflowProtectionLog.txt Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates\VirusScan\OnAccessScanLog.txt Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SupportSoft\DellSupportCenter\SYSTEM\state\logs\sprtcmd.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Logan\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\PowerReg Scheduler.exe Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Application Data\Gtek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\DellSupport\DSAgnt.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Application Data\Gtek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\DellSupport\DSAgnt_GTActions.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Application Data\Gtek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\DellSupport\gdql_d_DSAgnt.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Application Data\Gtek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\DellSupport\glog.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Application Data\AOL OCP\AIM\Storage\All Users\localStorage\common.cls Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Application Data\AOL OCP\AIM\Storage\data\buddha10385\localStorage\common.cls Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Feeds Cache\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Application Data\SupportSoft\DellSupportCenter\Sue\state\logs\sprtcmd.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Application Data\SupportSoft\HelpCenter\Sue\state\logs\sprtcmd.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012008010920080110\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temp\BIT422.tmp Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temp\clclean.0001.dir.0000\~efe2.tmp Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temp\~DF548A.tmp Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temp\~DF913A.tmp Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temp\~DF9147.tmp Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temp\~DFB665.tmp Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\AntiPhishing\B3BB5BBA-E7D5-40AB-A041-A5B1C0B26C8F.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\Program Files\MediaSupplyCodec\MediaSupplyCodec.ocx Infected: Trojan.Win32.Agent.dpv skipped
    C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase Object is locked skipped
    C:\System Volume Information\_restore{129201FA-B0AC-49B3-96B2-DEB8B91E727B}\RP654\change.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\Debug\PASSWD.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\ModemLog_Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem.txt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\Registration\{02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}.{75088384-0FE4-4D3E-84E2-2AAED23F9045}.crmlog Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\EventCache\{8A9899C3-DEDD-4106-B6D2-961BC9689C81}.bin Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\Sti_Trace.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\DEFAULT Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Internet.evt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Media Ce.evt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SecEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SOFTWARE Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\h323log.txt Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\WUDF\WUDFTrace.etl Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.MAP Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING.VER Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING1.MAP Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING2.MAP Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.MAP Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\wiadebug.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\wiaservc.log Object is locked skipped
    C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log Object is locked skipped

Scan process completed.

I would like a look at your uninstall list, HJT will probably remove the p2p program, but it is best to uninstall it if possible, will give me a chance to look for anything else that should not be there.

Open Hijackthis.
    Click the "Open the Misc Tools" section Button.
    Click the "Open Uninstall Manager" Button.
    Click the "Save list..." Button.
    Save it to your desktop. Copy and paste the contents into your reply.
    (You may edit out Microsoft, Hotfixes, Security Update for Windows XP, Update for Windows XP and Windows XP Hotfix to shorten the list)

KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER REPORT Wednesday, January 09, 2008 10:57:24 PM

C:\Program Files\MediaSupplyCodec\MediaSupplyCodec.ocx <<< Look in Add Remove programs and uninstall that item if there. If not, delete it manually and you may have to do that in safe mode?
    (Trojan.Win32.Agent.dpv)

See this: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=282

all I need is the uninstall list

Thanks
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006

Here's the uninstall list. I see the MediaSupplyCodec on it, so I'll try the uninstall.
    Thanks

Ad-Aware 2007
    Adobe ActiveShare 1.3.1
    Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX
    Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
    Adobe Reader 8.1.1
    Adobe Shockwave Player
    AGEIA PhysX v2.4.4
    AIM 6
    Andrea VoiceCenter
    AOL Coach Version 1.0(Build:20040229.1 en)
    AOL Connectivity Services
    AOL Uninstaller (Choose which Products to Remove)
    AOLIcon
    AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5
    BellSouth Toolbar 1.0
    BellSouth® FastAccess® DSL Help Center 4.0
    Cabela's Big Game Hunter - Alaskan Adventures
    Cabela's Trophy Bucks
    Calendar Creator 7.0
    Canon Camera Access Library
    Canon Camera Support Core Library
    Canon Camera Window DC_DV 5 for ZoomBrowser EX
    Canon Camera Window DC_DV 6 for ZoomBrowser EX
    Canon Camera Window DSLR 5 for ZoomBrowser EX
    Canon Camera Window MC 6 for ZoomBrowser EX
    Canon MovieEdit Task for ZoomBrowser EX
    Canon MP Navigator EX 1.0
    Canon MP610 series
    Canon MP610 series User Registration
    Canon My Printer
    Canon PhotoRecord
    Canon RAW Image Task for ZoomBrowser EX
    Canon Utilities Easy-PhotoPrint
    Canon Utilities Easy-PhotoPrint EX
    Canon Utilities PhotoStitch 3.1
    Canon Utilities Solution Menu
    Canon ZoomBrowser EX (E)
    Civilization III
    Civilization III Play the World
    Classic PhoneTools
    CleanUp!
    Command & Conquer Generals
    Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem
    Creative MediaSource
    Dell CinePlayer
    Dell Digital Jukebox Driver
    Dell Driver Reset Tool
    Dell Game Console
    Dell Support Center
    DellSupport
    Digital Content Portal
    Digital Line Detect
    EarthLink setup files
    Easy-WebPrint
    EducateU
    ELIcon
    ESPNMotion
    Get High Speed Internet!
    Google
    Google Desktop
    Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer
    High Definition Audio Driver Package - KB835221
    HijackThis 2.0.2
    IL-2 Sturmovik
    Incredible Ink
    Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver
    Intel(R) PRO Network Connections Drivers
    Intel(R) PROSet for Wired Connections
    Java(TM) 6 Update 2
    Java(TM) 6 Update 3
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1
    Kaspersky Online Scanner
    Learn2 Player (Uninstall Only)
    MasterCook 6: Complete Suite
    McAfee VirusScan Enterprise
    MCU
    Medal of Honor Allied Assault
    Media Supply Codec v1.6
    Modem Helper
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
    MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579)
    Musicmatch for Windows Media Player
    NetWaiting
    NetZeroInstallers
    NYKO Gamepad Mapping Tools 2.0.0
    Otto
    OverDrive Media Console
    Pacific Fighters
    Panda ActiveScan
    Panda ActiveScan Pro
    PhotoFantasy 2000
    Polar Golfer
    Quicken 2007
    QuickTime
    RealPlayer Basic
    Roll
    Roxio DLA
    Roxio MyDVD LE
    Roxio RecordNow Audio
    Roxio RecordNow Copy
    Roxio RecordNow Data
    Sansa Media Converter
    ScanSoft OmniPage SE 4
    ShootOutClient Version 1.0
    Sonic Activation Module
    Sonic Advanced Decoder
    Sonic Encoders
    Sonic Update Manager
    Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED MB
    Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED MB Product Registration
    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4
    SpywareBlaster v3.5.1
    SpywareGuard v2.2
    The General 4.0
    Trellix Web
    TurboTax Deluxe Deduction Maximizer 2006
    TurboTax ItsDeductible 2006
    Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    URGE
    URL Assistant
    Virtools 3D Life Player
    WebCyberCoach 3.2 Dell
    WexTech AnswerWorks
    Windows Internet Explorer 7
    Windows Live Messenger
    Windows Live Sign-in Assistant
    WONswap
    Zune
    Zune Language Pack (ES)
    Zune Language Pack (FR)

Thanks for the uninstall list, here is what I see. I will not know all programs, take a look yourself to make sure nothing is there you are not aware of.

AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5
    AVG Anti-Spyware is a good program but it does use some resources. Once the trial is over you can update and use the scanner for as long as you wish, but unless you purchase it you should turn it off completely so it does not run unless you start it manually.

Java(TM) 6 Update 2 <<< uninstall
    Java(TM) 6 Update 3 <<< keep this one
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1 <<< uninstall
    See this: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...80&postcount=2

Panda ActiveScan Pro <<< you run McAfee, why is this installed? If you do not own it uninstall it. If you own it make sure it does not run with McAfee.

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 <<< as soon as all else is squared away, I would update to 1.5 were I you.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/s...d15/index.html

TurboTax Deluxe Deduction Maximizer 2006
    TurboTax ItsDeductible 2006
    Is this program still applicable to 2007?

Media Supply Codec v1.6 <<< Wherever this came from, a trojan came with it. "Free" rarely is!

For your information:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...s/mcgill1.mspx

Some good information for you:
    http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/m...wcomputer.html

Here is some great information from experts in this field that will help you stay clean and safe online.
    http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/m...revention.html
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279
    http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
    http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html
    http://cybercoyote.org/security/not-admin.shtml

Thanks...pskelley
    Safer Networking Forums
    http://www.spybot.info/en/donate/index.html
    If you are reading this information...thank a teacher,
    If you are reading it in English...thank a soldier.
    Proud Member ASAP
    UNITE Member 2006

Thanks for your advice on this and for all your help...and for the links for the info to stay clean and safe. I certainly think I need to tighten the reins on my teenaged son's computer usage....I suspect that that lead to many of the problems.

You don't know how much I appreciate all your time and attention to my problems. You perform a very valuable service to us computer novices. I'll be making a donation to help keep you guys going!!

Sue