Thread: Sudden BHO Insall Attempt by Spybot

Default Sudden BHO Insall Attempt by Spybot

Spybot 1.5.1.18, last updated 2Jan08.

Windows XP Home, SP2.

I just started Spybot to check the immunization, whereupon Spybot apparently (according to SpySweeper) tried to install a BHO in IE.

Closed Spybot, restarted, process repeated.

Where did this BHO install come from? It has not shown up previously, including during immunization check run perhaps two days ago. Why would the installation arise when I clicked on "Immunize"?

Should I allow the BHO? I did not, given that I'd never seen Spybot try to install it before, nor have I intentionally made any changes to IE6, which I rarely use. It is possible that a recent run of my registry cleaner removed the BHO; however, again, I've never seen this result in Spybot trying to install one.

Any answers to any other questions, asked/unasked/not-even-thought-of and/or discarded also appreciated....

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

The only Browser Helper Object (BHO) normally installed by Spybot is the Resident "SDHelper" (SDHelper.dll):
    • CLSID={53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}

By default it is installed during the installation of Spybot. It can also be activated from TeaTimer's system tray icon as well as by going into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.

If the CLSID of the BHO is the one listed above and it is using the file SDHelper.dll then it is Spybot's Resident "SDHelper" BHO:
    • Name: Spybot-SD IE Protection
    • Publisher: Safer Networking Ltd.
    • File: SDHelper.dll

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to assume that something deleted the normal Spybot BHO, quite likely my registry clearner, even though--as I wrote--that never happened before.

I updated to xx.19 (the RC1) yesterday, and let Spybot install the BHO.

When I then went to check immunization, I did not get any Spy Sweeper messages.

I did, however, notice one oddity: Most of the immunizations listed zeros in columns one and two, with the "totals" in column three. A total of zero and zero ought to be zero, but, instead, Spybot was showing the totals of what should have been listed in column 2, as the process showed, at the top right-hand corner of the screen, that there were no non-immunized objects.

Once I ran immunization, the real totals for column two appeared, so that columns two and three had the same numbers for each row.