Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SpyBot 1.5 Questions...

Arrow

Considering that this is a FF issue and not a SpyBot issue, I would like to make a recommendation for 3.0, if I may. The way to remove this slow-down would be to load the hostperm file into memory as an array of classes or strings and simply iterate through it each time it is needed, instead of reading the file each time it is needed. We all know that memory is faster access than a hard-drive, so that would help a TON. I would also recommend using an array over a linked-list because a linked-list could span page-faults, thus slowing down access, whereas an array is almost always going to be in the same page.
    QuadCore 3.0GHz (1333MHz FSB), 8GB DDR3/1333MHz (Dual-Channel), Dual nVidia GTX295 2GB VRAM, SB X-Fi Gamer PCI-E
    P4/3.20GHz HT (800MHz FSB), 2GB DDR/400MHz (Dual-Channel), nVidia7800GS 256MB, Audigy II w/4.1 Speakers

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Sephiroth:

Perhaps if you expressed your thoughts in the following forum it would be more effective:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Talking

Oh God, I was SO tired that night. I was just looking for my recommendation on the Mozilla forums and could not find it. I was exhausted at the time of the post and had the Spybot and Mozilla forums open in seperate tabs and apparently posted in the wrong forum! My bad.

However, I would like to report that the slow-down issue appears to be plugin-related. CookieSafe seems to cause the issue for most users. I have tested FF 2.0.0.11 on systems as old as my P2/233 and Spybot does *NOT* slow down FF. In fact, I am in XP Pro x64 right now on FF after a full immunization and even with tab all the way across my desktop (1280x800 on this laptop) it is wide-open.

I did have a request for Spybot though. An option to export a list of the hosts file host names only (ie: www.google.com) to a plain text file would be great. This way we could copy and paste the list into our router blocked-sie list and have the router block all the bad sites instead of adding the hosts to the Windows/Linux hosts file! Trying to type them in one at a time is painfully slow!
    QuadCore 3.0GHz (1333MHz FSB), 8GB DDR3/1333MHz (Dual-Channel), Dual nVidia GTX295 2GB VRAM, SB X-Fi Gamer PCI-E
    P4/3.20GHz HT (800MHz FSB), 2GB DDR/400MHz (Dual-Channel), nVidia7800GS 256MB, Audigy II w/4.1 Speakers