Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Use SpyBot or Not To Use

Default To Use SpyBot or Not To Use

I was using AdAware SE and learn that it is now disconinued. I am considering installing SpyBot.

I understand the new version 1.5.1.15 is BETA. I was told not to use BETA until all testing had finished. Anyone using version 1.5.1.15?

#1- Is it very difficult to install, set-up and work with (for a novice)?
    #2- Do you have to download definitions also for SpyBot?
    #3- Can SpyBot run with Spyware Blaster, NIS, AVG-AS, WinXPsp2, IE6 (AdAware maybe)?
    #4- Have read something about "Tea Timer." Some posts state enable "Tea Timers;" other posts say DON'T enable "Tea Timer" because it has very bothersome pop-ups which could be very disturbing to a novice.
    #5- Doesn't "Tea Timer" does almost the same thing that Spyware Blaster does (regarding IE restriction, etc.)?

Would anyone have any helpful comments for me - a novice on computers? I don't want to install something that might harm the computer or that might be difficult to install, set-up and run.

Alice

Default ok

-spybot beta is better than the current version because it is the current version with bug fixes, but there are known bugs with teatimer in the beta, so install the beta but dont enable teatimer, you need to check for updates, like definition updates yes, the beta is the winner
    -works with everything except adaware is a piece of crap and nis use to detect spybot as a problem when it isnt because symantec blow. might be fixed though with the enwest version
    -immunization in spybot not in teatimer blocks problems in the web browsers. i suppose its very simmilar to spywareblaster, of cause better cause the creators of spybot know more
    --------------------------------------------------
    King of zlobtrojan, virusburst, spyaxe, and elite bar infections.

Smile Tea Timer

Quote Originally Posted by sims39 View Post
    - but there are known bugs with teatimer in the beta
    The bugs in Tea Time are resolved with this new TT.

TeaTimer shows non-existing changes on each start

TeaTimer.exe-1.5.2.16-2008-01-10.zip

Just replace the TT file in the directory: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy"

Also, I invite you to install the latest SDD 1.5.2 Release Candidate 1 (aka 1.5.1.19) witch is RC1.

1.5.2 Release Candidate 1 (aka 1.5.1.19) here

Download available here
    Last edited by hpwamr; 2008-01-19 at 14:49.

Default Thanks, but

This all appears to be so confusing for a beginner. I've also looked at some of the other posts and they all appear (to me, at least) to be also very confusing for a beginnger.
    Think I will stay away from SpyBot.

Default its not that confusing

its not confusing, hpwamr is just not a smart thinker whose post definatley didnt belong in a topic about a complete newbie wanting to install spybot

-install the 1.5.2 Release Candidate 1 (aka 1.5.1.19) here
    -update it
    -click immunize
    -read the help section

trust me when i say you should install it and read the help section, the only things you have to do is install it and update, immunize and scan
    Just when the installer is installing untick teatimer, dont install it, you dont need it anyway

try it
    --------------------------------------------------
    King of zlobtrojan, virusburst, spyaxe, and elite bar infections.

Default Thanks.

its not confusing, hpwamr is just not a smart thinker whose post definatley didnt belong in a topic about a complete newbie wanting to install spybot

-update it
    -click immunize
    -read the help section

trust me when i say you should install it and read the help section, the only things you have to do is install it and update, immunize and scan
    Just when the installer is installing untick teatimer, dont install it, you dont need it anyway

try it
    =======================

Thanks. And I believe somewhere/sometime we have to run a 'scan.'

Cool Spybot-S&D Beta

Per definition Beta Forums are not intended to Newbies !

Default 1.5.1.19 RC1 (1.5.2) download from where?

-update it
    -click immunize
    -read the help section

try it
    ======================

#1- Where do we download the ver 1.5.1.19 RC1 (1.5.2) from? Is it someplace on the SpyBot S&D site?
    #2- Is the Check the same as Scan?
    Thanks.

Hello,

1. Download available here

2. Yes.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

tiger2:

If you are going to try spybotsd152rc1 and use TeaTimer, I strongly suggest that you apply the fix for TeaTimer from this tracking issue:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.