Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Total and complete Failure!

Thumbs down Help! Total and complete Failure!

I downloaded this program yesterday and I was amazed to find it has failed worse then anything I have ever seen. First run through it found no spyware or the like which isn't to surprising seeing as how I am usually careful about such things. Of course my surprise today is that now that as I try to use any of the programs on my computer I am met with the following error message. ( This file does not have a progam associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folders Options control panel.) Aside from being lucky and having Internet Exploring working I am able to do nothing else on my computer without this error message popping up instantly. Is there anybody out there who knows how to solve this and get his damn thing off my computer!?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

What operating system?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Windows XP, I've tried running the REGExe. assoication thing, but that gives me a failing message to. It just seems to be failing no matter what I try.

Please consider this link:
    http://ask-leo.com/what_does_this_fi...h_it_mean.html

Hope it helps you!
    O God! can I not save
    One from the pitiless wave?
    Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?

Are these the file association fixes you tried?

Is this the fix for EXE files you used?

Did you try to execute Regedit as follows?

NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.
    Thanks to Nigel Andrews for this tip.
    Note about the above instructions: "New Task (Run)" does not appear in the file menu of Task Manager if you are in the Networking tab.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Are these the file association fixes you tried?

Is this the fix for EXE files you used?

Did you try to execute Regedit as follows?

Note about the above instructions: "New Task (Run)" does not appear in the file menu of Task Manager if you are in the Networking tab.
    Alright well I did just as this says but all it does is open up a Registry Editor with which I do not know what to do.

Download the following file:
    • EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files).
    • Extract the content of the xp_exe_fix.zip folder (right click > Extract all...). Note: If you have problems with extracting the content of the xp_exe_fix.zip folder, there is a .reg fix for that (ZIP Folder Association Fix).
    • Start Regedit.
    • Import (File menu > Import) the xp_exe_fix.reg file extracted above.

Well the Zip Fix seemed to have worked just fine, but when I try and run then EXE fix I get an error message at the end. Saying that not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes. All of this is confusing to me because nothing but Internet Explorer is opening for me so I have no Idea what is going on.

I mean I am just wondering if this is going to be an easy fix or not? Because I would rather not have it come to me having to take this thing to the shop to get fixed.

NotAFan:

You could try to do a System Restore using a Restore Point prior to the time you downloaded, installed and used Spybot.

Well See, I can do that because every time I try to use system restore it gives me the same error message I get with everything else. The association error just keeps popping up