Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can I get a recomendation for anti-virus software?

Default can I get a recomendation for anti-virus software?

Hey wiser folks, can I get a recomendation for anti-spyware software. I am wondering what does what and how well. Do I even need it if I have spybot, adaware and a firewall? Feel free to wax eloquent as I am a newbie to this stuff. Thanks
    Jeremy
    Last edited by tashi; 2006-02-06 at 20:45. Reason: Moved topic from the Tavern to main forum

Default some anti-spyware software

Read your post-not sure if you are looking for anti-virus or anti-spyware. I am not an expert, but I do have a few suggestions, based upon my reading here and at other sites.

If you do not have anti-virus, I think you will need it-there are several good anti-virus programs-including free ones-but I am not experienced enough to tell you which one is best.

I would suggest these 3 freeware programs which offer real time protection(prevent spyware from being installed)
    WinPatrol, SpywareBlaster and Spyware Guard
    These products are well known and widely used.

Also Microsoft Anit-Spyware beta (also free right now) offers real time protection as well as scanning for spyware infections.

Another free product is CWShredder-which removes CoolWebSearch.

I have all of these(including Spybot and Adaware-and some paid programs) and they do not conflict-except that Adaware plus, with Ad-watch does have some initial small conflicts.

There is some overlapping in coverage between these, but between them you will be well covered against spyware.

I would also suggest you look at the Spyware Warrior site-they have info and advice about about these issues as well as listings of "anti-spyware" to stay away from.

Hope this helps.

If you do not have anti-virus, I think you will need it-there are several good anti-virus programs-including free ones
    There's a couple of the free antivirus programs listed here(down at number 10.):
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279

I have Norton Antivirus on all three of my computers BUT if I were to use a free one, I would use avast! since it likes to work with my browser Mozilla/SeaMonkey.

Hello
    Me too i am a little bit confuse about your request....
    if you need a antivirus....
    Bit Defender is super
    Norton is very good
    NOD 32 also
    ....in free software,Antivir seem to be the best choice(take this one and save your $$)
    Bye

edit:
    http://www.free-av.com/
    Last edited by Danny; 2006-02-05 at 15:59.

Default correction

sorry for the mess up on the post, I am asking about anti-virus software. I already run spybot and ad-aware and have a firewall, now do I need antivirus, which are good and any to stay away from?:

Default another question

I tried to download avast, avg and anti-vir and none were able to get onto my computer. My computer couldn't see any security stuff with them so it wouldn't let it on my computer. Then I saved to desktop and that worked but when I tried to run it it said "an error 1006 (000003EE) has occured. Last performed operation was:opening the self-extract archive." Weird, why can't I download this stuff. I have a new computer, run nvidia firewall, spybot, windows xp and a cable connection. Any thoughts?

Default last thing

Ok now anti vir wont work, arrgh!!! I got it to save to desktop and here is what it said when I tried to run it: ZIP damaged: file C:\DOCUM~1\Jeremy\LOCALS~1\Temp\WZSE0.tmp\basic\antivir0.vdf:Bad CRC 1376c1b3 (should be dd45fd23). Possible cause: file transfer error.
    Sorry to harrass you guys but I don't know who to ask about this. Thanks.

Smile

Hi
    Before any moves,try a scan online
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
    Maybe you have some pests ...
    Bye

edit:Clean all your disks(temp &cie)
    Last edited by Danny; 2006-02-06 at 17:56.

Hello jrtking73.

If you did not have an Anti Virus Program on your computer (even if it is brand new) once you got on the internet you could have picked up an infection.

• Open SpyBot, check for and get any updates available.
    • Close all browsers, check for problems and fix everything found in red
    • Then on the toolbar menu select mode and switch to advanced mode, on the left lower down select tools, and view report, ensure all the options are selected near the bottom except
    • Uncheck[ ] do not report disabled or known legitimate Items.
    • uncheck[ ] Include a list of services in report.
    • Uncheck[ ] Include uninstall list in report.
    • Now select (near the top) view report.
    • Press export in the save in box choose a place such as your my documents folder, then in your next post near the bottom select the "browse" button; navigate to and attach or post that report please.

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016