Thread: My .dat files show "Video CD Movie" type

Default My .dat files show "Video CD Movie" type

I recently discovered this after a badly infected machine on the same network was pulled out of service. The infected box had read only access to a file share on the Dual P3 server. The server is running W2K3sp2 and IE7 5730.13 and no has no additional security updates. I took the infected box out of service when I discovered that wmsyspr9.sys had wormed its way onto the server %windir%. I removed the wmsyspr9.prx from the server and the scans looked clean but the server was running a little slow so I started poking around and discovered that the .dat files now had this curious file type designation. I tried to change it in my "tools:folder options: file type" but the edits are ignored. I have some scan logs ready to post but I thought there might be a less intensive remedy

Please feel free to move this thread.
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-01-10 at 17:04. Reason: Moved from General Security Alerts, "Web Alerts only"

Hello.

This forum is set up to assist single PC users, what environment is this server in?

Cheers.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thanks for responding. The server is on a private network with only the router doing DHCP and DNS. It's running W2K3sp2 and IE7 build 5730.13 with no additional security updates. I didn't want to post until I had more evidence of an infection. Please see my other post for information on the symptoms.

Hello.

As you have started another topic I will close this one.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016