Thread: HJT Resources?

Default HJT Resources?

Where can one find resources for interpreting HJT logs?
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-01-14 at 22:27. Reason: Moved from Spybot-S&D support

Hello.

There is a tutorial here: BC-Tutorial

As you have an open topic in our malware forum, if you go ahead and try fixing anything in HJT on your own, rather than with a trained helper assisting, please let us know so we can close that topic.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello.

There is a tutorial here: BC-Tutorial

As you have an open topic in our malware forum, if you go ahead and try fixing anything in HJT on your own, rather than with a trained helper assisting, please let us know so we can close that topic.

Best regards.
    I actually have TWO open threads in malware specific to virus problems, neither of which has received a reply yet. In one case, a computer that is basically not (fully) operational, and in the other, one that appears to be fine, although Kaspersky says it found 18 (IIRC) viruses (most of which I am fairly certain are false alarms).

It should be obvious that my question here refers to the latter, for which I have, and have posted, an HJT log. The reason I'm looking for information is so I might be able to have a prior idea as to what in that log might look suspicious, when someone responds. Since that computer is (or seems to be) working properly, I have zero intention of messing about with it.

On the other hand, the one that is "nailed flat" does not contain any critical software, and at this point I am seriously considering formatting the HDD and starting over, possibly with a *nix OS... rather depends on whether anyone comes up with possible solutions to its problems.

In either case, should I take any action regarding the noted issues, I certainly intend to post such in the respective threads.

Thanks for the link!

... if you go ahead and try fixing anything in HJT on your own...
    BTW - the reason I asked for the resource is that I don't KNOW if anything is really wrong or not - which is the point of one of the malware threads (that Kaspersky claims viruses but I have no symptoms - here's the HJT log, do you see anything wrong?) and which is so far unanswered.

I do realize that this is an all-volunteer group, and if I have no real problems, I prefer not to bother you all with such...

Thanks, again!

The reason we ask people to read our sticky topics before posting is because the malware forum is very busy. Not posting the information requested or posting just to ask questions, leads to helpers moving onto the person who did follow the procedure.
    "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)
    HijackThis doesn't scan the entire system and is only used for undetected or hard to remove nasties.
    It is not a spot check tool, therefore if you have no symptoms of infection there is no need to post a log in this forum.
    Please keep this link handy The Waiting Room: Post here if waiting for help longer than four days
    for: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22649

Edit.

I think the confusion started with five topics, I have left a note for our helpers to see if anyone can assist you with http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=153935
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-01-15 at 00:54. Reason: corrections

I think the confusion started with five topics, I have left a note for our helpers to see if anyone can assist you with http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=153935
    I'm not sure what you mean about confusion. I have two threads active in malware, about two different computers - one's totally screwed and the other seems to be okay, although Kaspersky reported 18 viruses... (the one about the screwed computer was re-posted, at your instruction, because I added some additional material to the original after the problem got even worse). Neither has received a reply, except from you.

While waiting for any reply, I've posted two questions, one asking if VNC could really be used to mask a virus and another asking where to find HJT doc. I think these have been combined into one thread, and the first question, about VNC, has been lost. You answered the other and graciously pointed me to the HJT docs, for which I am greatly appreciative - it has given me some insight - thank you!

You have a response. This topic is closed so we get back on track with the purpose of this sub-forum, the Tavern.

Regards.