Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: weird popup

Pietje

I also have Spysweeper and received the notice regarding "csx.adservs.com"-I allowed the change and checked always take this action as it was my understanding that Spybot was adding "csx.adservs.com" to my restricted sites.

After seeing your post-I checked my restricted sites through IE explorer/properties/security and confirmed that both "csx.adservs.com" and "uvu-channel.com" are there.

I do not remember seeing the "uvu-channel.com" alert-but itmay have come up when I recently reinstalled spysweeper because of other problems.

The notice from Spysweeper does not say that Spybot is trying to add these to trusted sites-it says that Spybot is trying to change the settings for these sites. Spybot is changing the settings to "restricted sites".

I first ran across this type of conflict when installing Spywareblaster and it was adding "0190-dialers" to restricted site-both Spybot and Spysweeper came up with warnings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the answers......

But, indeed. Spysweeper reports the attempted change, as soon as I double-click the Spybot Icon. Just to launch Spybot. So, even before I start a sweep, or even more, before I see the Spybot initial screen.

Is this normal behaviour?

Pietje

I do not know if Spybot andSpywarebalster work the same-but I used to get a popup from Spysweeper about the 0190-dialer every time I opened spywareblaster-until I allowed and checked always take this action.

I thought they had resolved the adservs in an update-they seem to be a little behind everybody on adding restricted sites.

Thanks for the answers guys.
    I'm somewhat less concerned now.

Really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    <snip>
    By the way, did you say it started Firefox for that popup even? Hmmm. I've checked my code. http://patrick.kolla.de/spybotsd.html hasn't been used as a link for Spybot-S&D since eons If you intentionally click on my logo, it'll show the main page - but you may have noticed my logo is quite hidden, so you'll never click it by accident.
    <snip>

Have intermittently experienced the same as the other posters.

It would appear that the launch of the default Internet browser targeting for URL http://patrick.kolla.de/spybotsd.html is caused by clicking the GUI of Spybot S & D in a specific, particular position.

Motivation: Have experienced the phenomenon several times (intermittently). Every time I have experienced it, I have clicked Spybot's GUI, either accidentally, or deliberately in order to refresh Spybot's GUI on top of GUIs for other SW on the desktop. The other program's GUI in my case is usually that of SpywareBlaster.

The speculations about malware causing the phenomenon are possibly more exciting than this straight forward rational cause of the phenomenon.

However, am happy to make a bet on the correct explanation for the phenomenon at least on my system.

Have a clean system, and the launch of the default Internet browser targeting for the URL http://patrick.kolla.de/spybotsd.html only occurs when clicking the GUI of Spybot S & D in a specific place.

Hence, the reason for the phenomenon should be simple and clear.

Please research once more the Spybot S & D's code for the explanation.

"Everything must be taken seriously, nothing dramatically."
    Louis Adolphe Thiers (1797-1877); French statesman, historian

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete (FI) View Post
    Please research once more the Spybot S & D's code for the explanation.

"Everything must be taken seriously, nothing dramatically."
    Louis Adolphe Thiers (1797-1877); French statesman, historian
    The following text string is in the code for SpybotSD.exe (File version: 1.4.0.3) at 003160C4:

Code:
    http://patrick.kolla.de/spybotsd.html
    Much Ado About Nothing
    Comedy by William Shakespeare.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-08-06 at 16:46. Reason: Edited to add the quote by Pete (FI).

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Case closed. (Not to say there was any.)

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    The following text string is in the code for SpybotSD.exe (File version: 1.4.0.3) at 003160C4:

Code:
    http://patrick.kolla.de/spybotsd.html
    Much Ado About Nothing
    Comedy by William Shakespeare.

Ditto!

"Take nothing on its looks: take everything on evidence.
    There's no better rule."
    Charles Dickens (1812-1870); English novelist, dramatist.

What is this?

res://msscsi.dll/RC/104

That is where my browser is directing the popup to initially.

Quote Originally Posted by edm_tech View Post
    What is this?

res://msscsi.dll/RC/104

That is where my browser is directing the popup to initially.
    Sorry for the late reply.

Do you use Mozilla Firefox as you browser?

If you do, could it be you are infected (with NSIS Media)?

Please look at, e.g. http://kichik.net/2006/12/09/more-evil-files/ and

(and http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=432846).

Best of luck!

-Pete

"They believe that nothing will happen
    because they have closed their doors."
    Maurice Maeterlinck (1862-1949); Belgian author.
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-03-22 at 05:19. Reason: Removed link to commercial site.

Default weird thoughts

Happened to me today; first time. Which led me to this interesting discussion. I am amused by the appropriate literary references.
    My thought is more philosophical than technical analysis. I have wondered about the limits of the internet. If it is infinite than I suppose it's a non-issue. On the other hand if it is finite, the statistical liklihood of collisions & other undesirable interactions will increase. I wonder if this "crowding" is worsened by redundancy; ie. do "updates" replace or do they exist of themselves? If a program is written on a particular platform does it inadvertantly include residual "marks", like the unique "tool marks" on a machined part? In some future Asimovian world will sophisticated "AI" have "dna"?