Thread: How to REALLY Remove unwanted software?

Default How to REALLY Remove unwanted software?

How to REALLY Remove unwanted software?

Running Kaspersky & HJT pointed out to me that some old (read: "unused" and "unwanted") programs were still in the system.

Running "Add/Remove Programs" said it removed them (or some of them) but when I look at c:\program files\ I find the directories and much of the contents still there...

I actually have a similar problem with Symantec's NAV and friends - I tried to update NAV about a year ago, and couldn't get it to update. Literally hours on phones and email exchanges with Symantec's (alleged) Technical (alleged) Support failed to get it updated. I even tried their program that supposedly removed all Symantec software from the system - it, of course, removed the only Symantec program I really wanted (PCAnywhere) but still didn't allow an update or even a fresh install of NAV... it isn't running (or apparently is not), so I finally gave up and just ignored it... but HJT shows several entries for Symantec. I think now I really would like to get totally rid of them, once and for all. I don't see a "Symantec" directory in \program files\ anymore, but HJT shows an O4 reference to them...

I understand this is not a S&D issue, nor (probably) a malware issue, but I am hoping that some of you experts can at least point me to the right place(s). Yes, google suggests some... thousands - no, tens of thousands - of them, in fact... but I am hoping that someone can - and will - take a couple of minutes and save me untold hours of fruitless dredging through toxic swamps of "information", and tell me where the "good stuff" can be found!

I don't want to abuse this resource, so if there's another forum you could recommend to take the issue to, I'll be happy to go away.

Thanks!

Hi itsleo,

I would try cleaning your computer with ccleaner

During installation - ccleaner will offer to install 'yahoo toolbar' UNCHECK THAT BOX!

Once installed, run the application. In the 'cleaner tab', just click analyze (all the other settings are fine as default) - then once complete, click - run cleaner

--------------------

Then before going to the 'registry tab' I recommend you create a complete backup of your registry

1. Go to - start - run - type in 'regedit'
    2. In the registry editor go to - File - Export
    3. Choose a suitable name that you could easily remember and identify e.g. registry backup "then date here"

*if you have to restore back to a back up created in this way: just go to - File - Import - (and choose the backup .reg file)*

Once you have created a complete back up - just to be on the extra safe side - create a system restore point

Then in ccleaner go to the 'registry tab'. Click scan for issues - once completed it will ask you if you want to make a back up - click yes - then select fix all issues

Your computer should become much faster

ccleaner also has a uninstall list - much like 'add and remove programs' I find it quite useful

Anyway - If you need to restore back to a previous point (I have never had to - but it is always useful to have various options that you can take) - you have several options - you can just restore the back up you made in ccleaner or you could restore the complete registry back up made using regedit or you could use system restore

hope that helps!

Honda

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

itsleo:

What is it that you are really after?

You have started the following thread in the Malware Removal forum that was archived to the Archives forum:

You have Two(2) threads in the Malware Removal forum (one of which tashi indicated was closed but didn't lock the thread or move it to the Archives forum:

You have started three threads in the Tavern forum:
    1. Can't Post in Malware
      http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22603
    2. HJT Resources?
      http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22718
    3. How to REALLY Remove unwanted software?
      http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22763

If you want to help in resolving your current problem, I suggest that you concentrate on the two problems in the Malware Removal forum.

If you want to resolve the problems yourself without help, I suggest that you enroll in a program designed to train yiu to do that. Some of the programs designed to do that are outlined in post #6 of this thread:
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-01-15 at 22:57.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.