Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Bad Image"&"Unexpected Error" Messages,

hi

great to hear that

now that system restore is available you should immediately create a fresh restore point

i would really try downloading fresh installers for the programs ( msn messenger ans spyware blaster)

and reinstall those

i would reinstall those programs in safe mode.

reboot your computer in SafeMode by doing the following:
    1. Restart your computer
    2. After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
    3. Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
    4. Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

try that if it helps

also :
    Clean out temporary files.
    Go to "Start" > "Run" and type cleanmgr
    Make sure the following are selected:
    * Temporary Internet Files
    * Recycle Bin
    * Temporary Files
    * Recycle Bin
    Click "OK'.
    Repeat for each user account on the computer.

i would run diskdefrag too, right click your c\drive icon at my computer, select properties> tools > disk defrag
    , if you see a lot of red you really should defrag the drive

let me know how it goes
    I Am A Proud Member of ASAP Since 2004

To Ride, Shoot Straight And Speak TheTruth

HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!

Default "Bad Image"&"Unexpected Error" messages

Hi illukka:

Just read your post from yesterday.(Feb.20/06)

I've already done some of what you suggested(defrag,clean up Temp files & recycle bin for each user); but I will create a [System Restore Point] AND try re-installing [Spyware Blaster] and [MSN Messenger] in Safe mode (didnt know I could install things in [safe mode].

I will reply to you with the results.

Thanks again. You are the best. from Dorothy

hi
    i got a great suggestion from one of the spybot's adviser team members ( thanks bitman )
    download the vb runtimes from the following link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    then doubleclick on the file to install, follow the prompts

try again those programs

also this file may help specially with spyware blaster woes:
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.net/down...gfilesetup.exe
    install it too

tell me how it
    goes
    Last edited by illukka; 2006-02-21 at 22:27.

HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!

Default "Bad Image"&"Unexpected Error" message.

Hi illukka:

I've done as you suggested in your last 2 posts.

• disk cleanup
    • deleted by Add/Remove programs & fresh download & safe mode install re: Spyware Blaster-"Unexpected Error" still came up
    • downloads & installs re: [...vbrun60sp5.exe] and [...missingfilesetup.exe] as suggested in your 2nd post
    • updated Spyware Blaster(it now is up-to-date & runs... )
    • Spyware Blaster [save point] done
    • System Restore point done
    • removed by Add/Remove programs & fresh install MSN Messenger7.5(I think the install might have happened in Normal mode)..."Bad Image" message re: .[..msdmo.dll]STILL comes up.:(
    • System Restore Point done
    • Defrag done

>>>I still haven't tried to get HijackThis again since these last fixes.

I was wondering...remember you had me go to [www.dlldump.com] to get 2 new files for vdmdbg.dll & srclient.dll for the other programs that had "Bad Image" messages???.... Do you think that would help in this situation for MSN Messenger 7.5??? :o Just a thought...wasn't sure if it would work if there is the correct .dll file there...

Please let me know what you think. So far you & "bitman" have got everything else back working. Just MSN Messenger left (& HijackThis if you still need to see that).

Way to go!!!! Please let me know what's next...if anything.

Thanks again BIG TIME from Dorothy

Esteemed Member

Dorothy,

Since illukka soen't appear to be online at the moment, I'm going to suggest how to fix the corrupt msdmo.dll file. I had thought it was part of the MSN Messenger install too, so we both thought reinstalling this would fix it, but we were wrong since it appears to have been installed and updated with Windows XP itself.

On my WIndows XP Pro system, I found a second 'backup' copy of this dll in the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder. The bad copy should be in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. So simply rename the file in System32 with an extension name like 'DL1', so it will remain in the folder but not operate. Then copy the msdmo.dll from the i386 folder mentioned above to the System32 folder.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
    Bitman

hi

thanks Bitman

Hi illukka and bitman:

SUCCESS!!!! thanks to you two and your patience & perseverance.

bitman...your suggestion re: [msdmo.dll] worked. MSN Messenger NO LONGER comes up with "Bad Image" message YEAHH!!!

What I've done Today (Feb.22/06):

Disk Cleanup

System Restore Point

Updated & scanned with AVG antivirus(incl.update today), Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware- all OK

Updated SpywareBlaster-all boxes checked

Questions:

1. In the System32 folder, is it ok that there is an extra [icon] in the row where I renamed the corrupted file & copied the one from [i386]? Just never saw this happen before...usually everthing is all neatly lined up. Just curious...

2. Do you need to see any more logs?

3. The downloads you had me save: eg.ewido anti-malware, MWAV antivirus tool , F-Secure BlackLight Beta, , Sysclean & [lpt219 files], asviewer...do I still need them or do I delete/remove them?

4. In my initial post for help, I mentioned that [BitDefender Virus scan] said I was infected with [Application.Adware.NewDotNet.Dropper] in [C:Windows/system32/dx2003103.exe=>wise0018] I had scanned there re: [Before you post a log] Safer Networking instructions. However, this never showed up before or after with the other programs. Should I investigate this now that all else is fixed?

Please let me know if there's anything else to be done.
    Thank you again for sharing your knowledge..
    I really appreciate it. I could NEVER have fixed this myself alone.

from Dorothy

Esteemed Member

Dorothy,

Glad that worked and happy to have helped "improve your image". :D

Regarding question 1, the 'extra' icon, simply press F5 while in that screen. This is the equivalent of a 'Refresh' and will resort and arrange the icons.

The other questions I'll leave to illukka as the malware helper. I'd also prefer he decide if it's safe to delete the 'bad' copy you renamed to MSDMO.DL1, since I'm not certain if this was a file or disk issue.

Good luck with the remaining recovery work, hope you don't find any other damaged files.

Bitman

hi

could you upload this file:
    C:Windows/system32/dx2003103.exe
    to
    http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=1.0

please read this topic before posting
    http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5.0

i'll take a closer look at the file. it looks like an installer, randomly named..

3. The downloads you had me save: eg.ewido anti-malware, MWAV antivirus tool , F-Secure BlackLight Beta, , Sysclean & [lpt219 files], asviewer...do I still need them or do I delete/remove them?
    go ahead delete them
    if needed you know where to get them

i would like to find the cause of this issue.. could you tell how old the computer is ?

Hi illukka

Thanks for your reply. I have appointments all day so I won't be able to do the things you suggested until later tonight.
    Hope that's ok:o

By the way, my IBM computer was new 2002 and to be honest other than a spyware thingy Spybot forum helped me with in 2005, I've NEVER had a problem with it.
    I know I need more memory(I'm on disability so money usually gets spend on necessities),but we get by for now. It loads quickly & with DSL surfs fine. no glitches...no complaints.

Anyway, I'll get to those requests later tonight.
    Thanks again...NO MORE MESSAGES>>>IT"S SO GREAT... EXCELLENT pun[new and improved image]...:rofl:
    from Dorothy