Thread: Rude Awakening

Default Rude Awakening

Ok, recently I had to reformat my computer. When I went to download Spybot, I was a little concerned because the version and installation were not the same as I remember.

Anyway, turns out there is a new version out than what I had. Now, I am totally lost Seems that Spybot is coming up with popups asking for permissions, putting icons in the system tray, and taking up a huge amount of resources and is very slow running. I don't really care for the new version myself. But I guess I can try to get used to it as I love the program.

A few questions...how do I stop the constant nagging about every little thing? It's almost like a firewall I used to have that did the same thing.

The update process is very weird. It keeps bringing up "bad checksum" errors so I can't update the program.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Hello,

Which messages do you mean exactly?
    Allow and denies from the resident TeaTimer or an url that was blocked by the bad downloadblocker?

If you search for updates and a 'HTTP Error 403' or 'bad checksum' is displayed, this has a simple reason - millions of people trying to download from the same server.

In order to overcome the problem, please have a second look at the update-menu-bar after searching for new updates. Therefore choose the update site from the navigation bar on the left. Now you'll see the update menu bar. It has a pull-down item to select a mirror. Click the arrow beside it, and select a different location (try the ones located nearest to you first), where you'll most probably have better chances to download. For a better understanding we have placed a picture at this link on our website.
    In section 4 you'll see how to select a download location nearest to you.

If this sounds too difficult please try to download the updates manually.
    Here is the direct download link.
    Just download and run that file - it is self-installing.

The information about "bad checksum" is also available in our FAQ.

For more information please do also have a look into our forum:
    [url]http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=63&highlight=checksum

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot