Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Immunisation

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    586

    Default Immunisation

    After immunising 1.5.1.19 there are three catagories shown:-
    Internet Explorer (32 bit) - all items protected
    Internet Explorer (32/64 bit) - all items protected
    Windows - Global Hosts - 7853 unprotected, 0 protected

    Main Summary:-
    Unprotected 7853
    Protected 2531
    Total 33084

    Spybot 1.4 used to report all possible items protected. Can anyone explain why are so many items appear to be not protected now?
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-01-19 at 06:05.

  2. #2
    Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,859

    Default

    The Windows "Global (Hosts)" immunization adds entries to the HOSTS file. In versions of Spybot before 1.5, you had to go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file to add Spybot's Hosts file entries, it was not part of the "Immunize" feature.

    There are a couple of things that may be causing a problem adding entries to your Hosts file. Firstly check to see if you have a HOSTS file. Your HOSTS file is located in one of the following directories:
    • Windows 95, 98 or ME:
      C:\WINDOWS
    • Windows 2000:
      C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc
    • Windows XP or Vista:
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

    Secondly, there are some software products such as ZoneAlarm pro and STOPzilla that prevent access to the HOSTS file.

    Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.


    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    586

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    The Windows "Global (Hosts)" immunization adds entries to the HOSTS file. In versions of Spybot before 1.5, you had to go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file to add Spybot's Hosts file entries, it was not part of the "Immunize" feature.

    There are a couple of things that may be causing a problem adding entries to your Hosts file. Firstly check to see if you have a HOSTS file. Your HOSTS file is located in one of the following directories:
    • Windows 95, 98 or ME:
      C:\WINDOWS
    • Windows 2000:
      C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc
    • Windows XP or Vista:
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

    Secondly, there are some software products such as ZoneAlarm pro and STOPzilla that prevent access to the HOSTS file.
    Thank you, good call. It's an XP SP2 system and access to the hosts file was being stopped by Zone Alarm. After immunising in safe mode, problem doesn't exist. Hosts file now contains 7853 names referenced to 127.0.0.1 to block them. I noticed that each time I undo the innoculation and re-do it, another 2 backups of the hosts file are made which accumulate in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc folder.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Can I point out that having thousands of entries in your hosts file will definitely slow your browsing down, particularly on an older machine.

    When I immunize, I always untick the "Global Hosts" option and have actually performed timed tests with and without a clean (untouched) hosts file and the results were very conclusive.

  5. #5
    Member of Team Spybot PepiMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    3,570

    Default

    This slowdown you speak about is worst on Windows 2000. Therefore, Spybot-S&D 1.5.2 handles Windows 2000 in a special way. Exact details can be found in Project Tools here on the forum, but to summarize: the option to immunize the hosts file is only shown on 2000 if it already has been immunized (to allow to undo it), if the user sets a special hidden flag (because he really wants it and knows what he is doing), or if the DNS Client Service, which is responsible for the slowdown, is permanently deactivated (which would be a workaround around the slowdown).
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

  6. #6
    Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,859

    Default

    hotlips69:

    Quote Originally Posted by hotlips69 View Post
    Can I point out that having thousands of entries in your hosts file will definitely slow your browsing down, particularly on an older machine.
    As PepiMK indicated:

    Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    ... or if the DNS Client Service, which is responsible for the slowdown, is permanently deactivated (which would be a workaround around the slowdown).
    If you would like to use the HOSTS file and see if deactivating the DNS Client prevents the slowdown, here's how:

    From:

    Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2000/XP/Vista. Windows 98 and ME are not affected.

    To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"

    Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)
    Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties
    Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
    Select: Manual, or Disabled (recommended) click Apply/Ok and restart. [more info]

    When set to Manual you can see that the above "Service" is not needed (after a little browsing) by opening the Services Editor again, scroll down to DNS Client and check the "Status" column. It should be blank, if it was needed it would show "Started" in that column. There are several Utilities that can reset the DNS Client for you ... [more info]

    Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.


    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1

    Smile Immunizing "Global Hosts" while running Stopzilla!

    Stopzilla prevents Spybot from immunizing "Global Hosts." Here is how to workaround that:

    Open Stopzilla
    Click “Real-time Protection”
    Click “Active Enforcers”
    Click “Network”
    Click “Hosts File” to uncheck it
    Click “Apply”
    Click “OK”

    Open Spybot and immunize, as usual. “Global Hosts” should immunize. Afterward, close Spybot.

    Then, go back to Stopzilla and reverse the above procedure.

    Peace!
    Michael

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •