Thread: IE-related Spybot problems

Default IE-related Spybot problems

Hello, I'm new here to the forums and I've registered to enquire about a certain problem that has plagued me for a short while.

System: MS XP SP2, single user, AMD Athlon (XP) 3200, 2.20 GHz.
    Browser: MS Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.xp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

I've recently replaced my Spybot 1.4 by the new 1.5.1.15 and at first I was satisfied with what seemed an improved interface and search engine. However, I changed my opinion after my first try.

I happen to work with a lot of .html files friends send me for proof-reading and editing and I use IE by default (force of habit and for practical uses) to view those files (I use Frontpage for edits). However, after I first used the new 1.5.1.15 version, I've been having trouble opening those files with IE; 'IEXPLORE' does appear in the task manager but it takes it takes its sweet time opening or I get a message telling me IE didn't find the file. As if that wasn't bad enough, it seems it's messing with my browsing too, as website layouts are either incomplete, refuse to show up or lead me nowhere.

Since I have two 200-Gb HDs with 5 partitions in total, I thought copying and pasting the files from one partition to the other would fix an issue I first thought to be hardware-related. Didn't work. It's only when I realized that 1.5 might be related to this bug (after all, I only installed two new ad-hunting related programs and the other one seemed completely blameless on this) that I decided to uninstall the whole thing and go back to 1.4.

Ever since I reverted to the previous version, I haven't had any problems and I'm peachy with it. Is there something I must do with the 1.5 to circumvent this nuisance or has it been fixed with the new RC for 1.5.2 and I can have a new try at 1.5? Or should I just stick with 1.4?
    Last edited by Renegade334; 2008-01-20 at 10:41.

Lightbulb well, scinse i dont know how to solve that prob...

i would say to stick to version 4 and try out any new betas that come out until the issue disappears.

Oooh, thanks for the reply. Makes for a nice birthday gift.

I'll try the 1.5.2RC this afternoon just to check and if necessary, switch back to 1.4 if I get any more obstacles from the new installation. BTW, have there been any new updates for 1.4 or does the SB team prefer to concentrate on the new 1.5? Since I reinstalled Windows a couple weeks ago, it feels like it's been some time since I saw something new...but that might just be me and my stunted notion of time. Just asking.

Severe apologies for double posting but it seems the edit button has taken leave from my previous comment, preventing me from simply modifying my input.

It seems the new beta has resolved the .html/IE issue, which is good news for me. Scan time has also decreased dramatically, which at first had me blinking in surprise, but I won't find any excuse to complain - actually it's a godsend for constantly harried people like me.

Thanks for the help.

Lightbulb kool!

glad it worked out for you!! check back once in a while if u experience any more issues.