Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild Tangent?

Default WildTangent NOT Spyware

WildTangent's software has never been spyware. It's never installed without a users express permission, it does not self update without the installing user accepting a EULA and choosing automated patching. The updater never tracked any personally identifiable information, it was used to automatically update games to fix game bugs or deal with new driver or OS bugs. WildTangent's games and old updaters all come with full standard windows uninstall support. If a user uses S&D to remove the old versions of the WT updater it can damage the updater and break the standard uninstaller causing the updater to run rogue. The best thing to do in this case is reinstall the game from its original source, then uninstall it. This process will fix the broken updater then remove it cleanly.

Modern Wildtangent games and the WildTangent game console no longer self update because of consumer spyware concerns. All WildTangent game updates are now manual requiring the user to expressly request a patch.

-Alex St. John
    WildTangent CEO

As a computer tech, I thank you Mr. St. John. I wish all software created to entertain and advertise were on the same playing field as the one you describe Wildtangent has became. Personally I have been removing Wildtangent for years, agressively at first, then I noticed a change in its behavior, and it became more of a, "do you play this?" instead. I cleanup many machines for unschooled web surfers and any program that is heading away from the "Oh Crap list" is on the right road for users and longevity. Again I feel honored to see communication at the trench level. Hey, and Thank you Spybot for so many years of useful automation of "Oh Crap" removal! now, if we can just get rid of all those zombies!
    Last edited by cowboy_jim44; 2007-04-21 at 09:44.

I just ran my usual weekly Spybot S+D scan.
    Earlier in the week I downloaded Windows Live ID (aka windows messenger), but haven't used the program yet.
    After running my scan today,the red entry for WildT angent came up with 2 entries!
    I chose to "fix" the problem. I did write down the associated files, but have no idea what they mean.
    I do not use AOL, nor am I a "gamer", so how did this program get into my system?
    My system is set up to auto update, so that well may be the problem.
    I surely would appreciated some help in this matter. I've been reading thru some other posts on this subject, but as a novice, I don't understand the terminology
    Feedback is much appreciated.
    honu1

You can get it when you install a game "sponsored" with WildTangent. I have installed once Bejeweled 2 by PopCap Games which is sponsored with WildTangent. Strange thing is when I've uninstalled it, and scanned with spybot, it did not found anything. Note that I didn't used internet for playing it.

Thanks,Tom.
    Problem is....I [I]didn't[I] download any games....hmmm.......
    I was,tho, clicking on some of my desktop icons to see what they were all about.
    Again,preloaded stuff from Microsoft. I do believe they were associated with games, but I sent them to the recycle bin.Perhaps just by clicking on the icons, my system was "infected"?
    I am leery of WildTangent and any other "bugs" that may have crept in. Can you please explain in "novice" terms how WildTangent is considered spyware?
    Sure do appreciate your input.
    honu1

read the whole thread again
    wild tangent has modified it's behaviour over the years
    wild tangent sends information home
    wild tangent can get installed along with other apps
    or
    other apps which are malware can use a wild tangent app to sucker you into downloading their crap
    or
    it may come along bundled with other feebies

no need to uninstall if you love your wild tangent game and you are sure that no friends came along for the party
    you got it straight from the source and not from a link/ redirect
    if it did come bundled then wild tangent is the least of your worries

keep your enemies close but your friends closer

In my perspective, I really don't think that you can get "infected" by just clicking on a desktop icon, unless that is a '.exe' (executable) file or of some malicious sorts.

What I can tell you is that removing WildTangent or letting it stay on your computer is up to you. What WildTangent is and what it does is explained in the thread, and of course there are other threads regarding WildTangent in this forum.

No one knows your computer better than you do . So, take a look and reconsider.

drragostea has it right
    just think of wild tangent as a SYMPTOM
    you may or may not have a Disease
    IF you have a disease- What is it?

round up the usual suspects
    not to get paranoid but a safemode scan with spybot and immunize
    full scan with your AV
    secunia advisor and get everything up to date
    spyware blaster
    see the stickies on How did I get Infected- etc

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Cool wild, tangent

i just ran spybot and of course it found the wild tangent. but for what ever reason it will not fix that problem all it does is the hour glass will be showing and thats it like it is stuck.
    it does not freeze up but in the task bar manager it say spy bot not responding. so after a long time i just finally hit the x to close it

so i ran spy bot again and again it did the same thing like that program is some how messing with spybot and will not let it remove it at least from my system and then i check the task bar again and again sbybot not responding

not sure what else to do
    but according to one post i guess the person who made that program claims it is no longer sending info back to the server so he says
    is he right or pulling our leg

i do not play games either except solitaire