Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild Tangent?

Default Wild Tangent?

after running spybot, it lists "Wild Tangent" (which is just for games) and says it's spyware. What's up with that? Why is it listed as Spyware? should I delete it?

the only thing that i can say for you is to wait someone here come and help you cuz sometimes you think that it is just for your game but its stealing some information from you.

Spybot-S&D cares about the health of your computer but they also cares about your privacy.

Hello,

Spybot-S&D detects WildTangent, but the wdengine.dll belonging to WildTangent is not detected.

WildTangent is needed for some games and comes with AOL IM.

There is a lot of information in the internet about WildTangent, e.g here:
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner...nt/index.phtml

If you want to remove it, please check if something is left in Windows Add/Remove programs. If there are remains of WildTangent please uninstall them. Alternatively, switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Tools" --> "System Startup" in the left bar and remove the WildTangent entry.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

yah but is wildtangent malware or is it just a game program?

Depends.
    From the link spybotsandra provided:
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner...nt/index.phtml
    The vendor's write-up about the information WildTangent collects: "We collect certain system configuration information through our software such as your computer's CPU speed, video card configuration, and DirectX version. We use this information to adjust the way our games and other software work in order to ensure their best possible performance. We also collect certain product usage information through our software such as the number of product launches and time spent playing a product.
    If you don't mind software calling home then it isn't spyware.
    If you do mind, then it is.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I personally think that the biggest threat concerning WildTangent is its Updater which can do silent installs/updates of software. I don't even let Micosoft Windows install automatically (I have it set to: "download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them.") and Windows doesn't do it silently even when set to "Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

thx well I guess i'll disable it using spybot

Spybot picks up Wildtangent as spyware but as it says here, specifically this excerpt:

How did WildTangent get on my computer?
    WildTangent is an online video game software company with partnerships with many companies like HP, Dell, Compaq, Logitech, AOL, and others. We package our games with their products such as computers and computer peripherals. We do not install our software onto your computer without your knowledge and consent.

If you have found WildTangent software on your computer, but didn't install it, it was installed onto your computer in the following ways:

Your computer manufacturer, such as HP, Dell, Compaq, or Gateway, preinstalled the software and games on your computer.
    Playing any of our games, like Polar Bowler, Blasterball or Tradewinds, or any AIM Games, like Lexibox and WildCards, will install WildTangent on your computer.
    Trying one of our games from our website partners like MSN Gaming Zone, Yahoo and Shockwave. To view all our games, please go to our WildGames website.
    Someone in your household, especially children, has played or downloaded any one of our games.
    It is not possible for our software to automatically install itself on your computer; it must be installed specifically by one of the methods we list above.
    I disregard it as a threat, because it came installed with my Dell laptop as stated in the excerpt above. I regard it as a false positive.

Steve

Spybot doesn´t pick up WildTangent as spyware. It is classified to be PUPS, as stated in the description for WildTangent. If you want to keep WildTangent, please tell Spybot to exlude it from further searches. To do so, just right click on "WildTangent" in the scan results and select "Exclude this product from further searches".
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Default WildTangent

After reading your post I understand what WildTanget is a little better. So, my question is what if it was deleted?

Everytime I start up my computer I get a Error message saying "WildTanget" module can not be located. What should I do about this? My computer has been running very slow, no matter what I have tried, I have clean out all the temp files etc. I have scanned for virus etc and nothing comes up other than the above error message about WildTangent.

Should I reinstalle WildTangent and if so how would I do this? Would missing part of WildTangent cause my computer run slow like this?

Thanks, Sandie