Thread: SB 1.5.2rc1 Crashes in Windows 98

Default SB 1.5.2rc1 Crashes in Windows 98

I have one Win98 machine remaining which I must keep to run an engraving machine. It was running fine with SB 1.4. I upgraded to 1.5 and started to have problems. A white square comes on the screen with no information other that a [CLOSE] button. After that, I can't get into most of my programs or print without rebooting.

I have uninstalled SB to be sure that was the problem. It was. The crashes stopped. Then I installed the latest version, 1.5.2rc1. The crashes have resumed.

Is there a place I can download version 1.4?

Lightbulb no there is no location to install 1.4

Try completely uninstalling all spybot, and scan with your antiviruis and other spyware software. Then try reinstalling the latest spybot again. If you still have probs, i think a spybot team member would be able to assist you better.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Small Change:

You can find old versions of software here:

The Spybot page is here:

The direct download for Spybot 1.4 is:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks. I'll try reinstalling version 1.4.

The system is regularly scanned and was working fine with the old version of SB. The problems started when I upgraded to 1.5.1 and didn't go away with 1.5.2rc1.

Default Same problems w. Win Me

I had the same experinces w. Windows Me, two different machines, rechecked carefully. Went back to 1.4 also.

Talking thanx, sry i didnt know that.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Small Change:

You can find old versions of software here:

The Spybot page is here:

The direct download for Spybot 1.4 is:
    i didn't know that there were places still available to download version 1.4 that were available.
    thanx for clarifying that. I will keep that in mind in the future.

Default SB 1.5.2rc1 Crashes in Windows 98

ye i too had a same doubt,thanx for clarifying that. I will keep that in mind.it may help me in future..

Question

Does the "spybot14z.exe" download (see above) have the Teatimer graphic problem fixed?

Or do we still need to install the patch to fix it?

Hello,

That is an old version that still contains the bug and will soon get no more updates because it is outdated.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default I also had the "tombstone" problem, see this old thread

Quote Originally Posted by Small Change View Post
    I have one Win98 machine remaining which I must keep to run an engraving machine. It was running fine with SB 1.4. I upgraded to 1.5 and started to have problems. A white square comes on the screen with no information other that a [CLOSE] button. After that, I can't get into most of my programs or print without rebooting.
    By any chance are you using any of: NIS, Avast, or Sygate?

I used to have the same problem with W98SE, it only got solved when I uninstalled BOTH Norton Antivirus AND Norton firewall (both from same NIS 2003 package) along with all other Norton products. See this thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=171408
    Note that you'll need a replacement AV and firewall after dumping Norton.

After that, the 1.4 and then later the 1.5 versions worked normally (I was about to try installing 1.6 when I saw this thread and just had to comment first).