Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unimmunizing Firefox default Popups

Default Unimmunizing Firefox default Popups

Hi,
    My Firefox browser was crawling and I read in another post that by unimmunizing the entries in SpyBot would fix this problem. I did that and the browser is working fast again. My problem is that out of the 783 entries that are supposed to unimmunized in the Firefox default popups section only 81 or 83 are uninmmunized. I have tried several times and cannot get them to go away. Everything else is cleared up in Firefox. Is there anything else I can do?
    Thanks, Amy

You could try leaving it to unimmunize for a while when you unimmunize popups,say around twenty minutes,and see if that works.Sometimes Firefox takes a while to unimmunize.If that doesn't work,please let me know.There's something else you could try,but leaving it to unimmunize is the easiest,if it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You could try leaving it to unimmunize for a while when you unimmunize popups,say around twenty minutes,and see if that works.Sometimes Firefox takes a while to unimmunize.If that doesn't work,please let me know.There's something else you could try,but leaving it to unimmunize is the easiest,if it will work.
    Hi Zenobia
    I tried unimmunizing for almost an hour and still did not work. You can see the blocks moving for a while but in the bar it never gets green like when you are scanning. It stays blank.Then the blocks stop moving and that is the end of it. It just stalls. Firefox in general is working OK but I want to do a complete unimmunization. I would like to know the other way.
    Thank you, Amy

Okay,you could remove the entries from your hostperm.1 file.Mozillazine doesn't recommend manually editing that file,though,so only do it if you feel okay doing so.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hostperm.1#Editing

If you would like to manually edit the hostperm.1 file,could you let me know what os you're running?That way,it would be easier for me to show you the correct path to get to your hostperm.1 file.

Okay,you could remove the entries from your hostperm.1 file.Mozillazine doesn't recommend manually editing that file,though,so only do it if you feel okay doing so.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hostperm.1#Editing

If you would like to manually edit the hostperm.1 file,could you let me know what os you're running?That way,it would be easier for me to show you the correct path to get to your hostperm.1 file.
    Hi Zenobia,
    I am no expert with this kind of thing. I have edited my registry with careful instructions. I don't want to fix something and messed up another. I have been reading other people's posting mentioning the "hostperm.1 file" and have NO IDEA! of what it is or what it does. I will be willing to look at it and decide what to do. My OS is Windows XP Home P2. Would it be easier if I remove the Spybot program altogether and reloaded it again? Would this take care of the problem?.
    Thanks for being patient. Amy

Hi.
    I see an easier way to do it.If you haven't put any Exceptions into popups yourself,you should be able to remove them through Firefox itself.

Try opening Firefox,then go to Tools,Options,click Content,then Exceptions,then click Remove all sites.That should remove them from Spybot's immunization.

It did make my hostperm.1 file go a little funny,though,so I'm going to ask about that in a new post.

Hi.
    I see an easier way to do it.If you haven't put any Exceptions into popups yourself,you should be able to remove them through Firefox itself.

Try opening Firefox,then go to Tools,Options,click Content,then Exceptions,then click Remove all sites.That should remove them from Spybot's immunization.

It did make my hostperm.1 file go a little funny,though,so I'm going to ask about that in a new post.
    Hi Zenobia
    I appreciate your help but I do not want to touch anything unless I know what I am doing. First of all what is the Hostperm.1 file? I want a definition. Second, how do you get to it? I see people posting their Hosperm.1 file. I don't even know how to find it. Excuse the ignorance but in order for me to learn I need step by step instructions of how things work. I feel like I have been given car keys and I don't even know how to turn the ignition. Could you please explain about the hostperm.1 file, what it is, what is is used for, where to find it. Then I would feel more secure about changing things.Firefox is my favorite browser and I don't want to mess it up. Again all of your help and information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Amy

Hi.

Hi Zenobia

After a lot of searching inside the Mozilla Knowledge Base, I was able to see how to get to the Hostperm.1 file. All the 783 entries from the Spybot immunization were there. The file was 232KB compared to Netscape's 1KB. Today I went to Spybot and downloaded the new updates. Afterwards I tried to do the unimmunization of Firefox popups again and this time IT WORKED!!!!!!!. Now it is running perfectly and my Firefox hostperm.1 file is also only 1kb. I have version 1.5.19 and I see that there was the release of 1.5.2 today. Should I download it? I had so many problems with the first 1.5 version that I am afraid to go through something like that again, specially when I finally fixed all the problems with 1.5.19.
    Sorry if I sounded a little harsh yesterday but I was totally fustrated. I hope you understand. Thanks again for trying to help.
    Amy

Glad you got it unimmunized. Sorry,I see I forgot to tell you to click Exceptions beside Block popup windows in content in Firefox.My bad.
    It is up to you,but the version of Spybot you have now is just a release candidate,and the new Spybot is a full version,so you should probably upgrade to the new version of Spybot.

Hi Zenobia
    I would give the new version one a try. Thanks again for your help. Amy