Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just installed 1.5.2, still suffering from same problem

Post Just installed 1.5.2, still suffering from same problem

I have had this problem with a previous version of Spybot (1.4 something) for several months now. About 1/3 of the way through the bot check it will hit CoolWWWSearch and just freeze up, I can leave it on for hours and it makes no progress what so ever. I figured this was some sort of screw up with the version I had, so today I installed version 1.5.2 and ran the bot check. Unfortunately the same thing happened. I think I have some version or remnant of coolwwwsearch somewhere on my computer, and I know that this issue was addressed in one of the stickied threads up top however none of the fixes listed in it has worked. I have tried installing and running cwshredder and I have also run ad-aware but neither finds anything. Interestingly Spybot runs fine in safe mode but doesn't find anything. Thanks in advance for your help.

Could you please edit the shortcut that is used to run Spybot-S&D and include a /verbose in it's link?

It should then look like this (well, with another path probably ):

When you now do a scan, it'll show a an 8 digit number in the status bar at the bottom, like $1234ABCD, which our detectives can use to look up where exactly it hangs
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Same problem here.

Spybot 1.5.2 scan reaches CoolWWWSearch then freezes, the spybot process uses 99% of the CPU and just sits there until i close it. This happens in both normal and safemode.

Here is a screenshot of where spybot freezes:
    Attachment 2039

I have uninstalled Adaware and MS Defender, have no other spyware software and disabled AVAST onaccess resident scanner.

Ive used ATF cleaner to empty all TEMP files, disabled system restore and cleaned out any dodgy entries in HijackTHIS, here is the log:
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-02-14 at 18:16. Reason: Removed and saved log, no HJT logs in the Spybot-S&D forum. ;-)

no ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Sorry, didn't see the screenshot yet Thanks for the ID!

Are these the updates of this week?
    Can't find rule $03E2BA06 yet... that means either the rule has been removed in the last update (or earlier), or changed since then, or I'm searching in the wrong place
    Or maybe the search is broken, wrote myself a todo item to check that!

I updated spybot fully yesterday, so unless the update you mention happened after that. Im not at the PC in question at the min so I cannot check.

Well, it seems its indeed our internal ID search that's not fully functioning currently, I'm going to look up that, and when it's working again, I'll see which detection exactly takes place when it hangs.

Me too. I upgraded to 1.5.whatever last week, but it hangs on CoolWWWSearch. Downgraded to 1.4, no better, I removed CoolWWWSearch from the Program list, and I now also get the "User Abort" message when in fact I did not abort.

Now, I'm getting "Error during check", a sample:

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.Feat2DLL [53] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.Feat2DLL [57] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.Feat2DLL [66] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.Feat2DLL [75] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.Feat2DLL [84] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.Feat2DLL [93] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.Feat2DLL [102] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.HomeSearch [17] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.HomeSearch [27] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.HomeSearch [31] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.HomeSearch [35] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.HomeSearch [43] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.HomeSearch [50] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.HomeSearch [54] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.HomeSearch [88] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.HomeSearch [97] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

Error during check!: CoolWWWSearch.HomeSearch [106] (Access violation at address 05381871 in module 'advcheck.dll'. Read of address 445C3A3C) ()

and on and on and on

How did you format your hdd, FAT32 or NTFS? First of all, which operating system do you run? :-D
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

I am experiencing the same problem with my scans; it freezes my computer on coolwwwsearch. I am anxiously watching this thread to find the solution.