Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can't install spybot

Thanks for your reply. I have been using 1.4 for years and actually I have just uninstalled 1.52 and gone back again. I just hit on "update" in 1.4 and it updates everything.

I followed a link and got to the .ini file which 1.5.2 is trying to download. If I knew where to copy paste it I would have a go at that.

I have installed and then uninstalled 1.5.2 about 4 times now, I have done a full uninstall of 1.4 on one occasion and then updated to 1.5.2 and still the update problem remains.

I have sent an email to SpyBot about it.

When I browse to 87.106.8.215 I get:

"Our website is moving to new servers. Should you see this page, you have reached the new hardware which is not completely set up yet; you'll be redirected to the temporary website location in a few seconds, please excuse missing graphics ... "

Nothing happens after a few minutes let alone a few seconds!

"Our website is moving to new servers..."

This could explain why you have problems with the updates. Maybe they need a little bit longer before it works like it use to do.

So what options are left? You can still use Spybot-S&D 1.5.2 with the manual detection updates. It is not the best solution but it should work:

Manual detection updates:
    http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_includes.exe

Download the package and execute it. Then it should automatically extract the detections in the correct folder.

Thanks Chi-va. I did that, manual updates etc and got 1.5.2 to work. But if I want it all automated I will continue to use 1.4.

It is a problem nowadays, software manufacturers seem to release new programs before the have the support facilities to make new software fully usable by everyone.

I thought SpyBot would have been better than this, i.e. a fully professional organization. Quite surprising really that this problem should occur.

I will try to reinstall 1.5.2 in a few weeks again, meanwhile 1.4 has been doing everything I want it to do so I will continue to use it.

I will continue to wait for my email reply from SpyBot. It has already been a few days since I contacted them. I have also sent a PM to jasontift to let me know when his problem has been solved.
    Last edited by thomfam; 2008-02-05 at 22:04. Reason: Edit some poor 'English'

Default Can't install Spybot

Hi guys, hope you don't mind me putting this to you. As a new member I posted this and got a solution that may help you.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23808
    Cheers Pete

Thanks PeterJ, any input is always welcome.

Tried your 'method' unsuccessfully.

I found this link in your thread from SpybotSandra:
    "For more information on updating please have a look at this link on our website:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html" took me to an 'old' view of updates.

I never get a page looking like this as Spybot 1.5.2 as it has its own separate Download Wizard.

Yet another uninstall of 1.5.2 and I will reinstall 1.4.

Thanks mate for your help.

Default 1.5.1

I found a copy of 1.5.1 today so I had a go at installing it. Fully removed Spybot 1.4, did a registry cleanup, a restart and then installed 1.5.1.

Exactly the same problem as with 1.5.2! It would not download any updates so it would not install.

I haven't received an email reply from Spybot on this problem either since sending it off some time ago.

Does anybody have any 'cure' for this problem?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

thomfam:

I suggest that you try skipping the updates during the installation and do them after the installation completes so that you are not subject to any connection problems during the installation:
    • Download the installation program spybotsd152.exe from one of the mirror sites listed here:
    • Execute spybotsd152.exe.
    • When you get to the "Select Components" screen during the installation, uncheck "Download updates immediately" (see attachment).
    • After the installation completes go into Spybot > Update to download updates.
      • Note: If you have a firewall the updates in Spybot 1.5 are done using SDUpdate.exe not SpybotSD.exe as in the past. Therefore SDUpdate.exe must be authorized to access the internet through your firewall.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Thanks For That But Still No Luck

Thanks for your response md usa spybot fan. I saw your 'solution' in another thread. Yesterday I browsed all threads which talked about 'update' or install problems. (There seems to be quite a few of them!) I tried your suggestion unsuccessfully yesterday and it did not solve my problem.

Uninstalled 1.4, then ran a Reg Cleaner to get rid of any other 'leftovers', used your link to download 1.5.2, installed as per your instructions (the same as in your graphic) and got into the Firewall and selected update.exe. I am running Vista Home Premium and I would have thought I would have been asked via the Firewall had 1.5.2 asked to connect to the net.

Then went to update and was told there are no newer updates available. Obviously there are.

Back to 1.4 again, installed and updated perfectly within minutes.

Still looking for a solution (as many others are) or a new release!

Again I entered 87.106.8.215 in the browser and get the following page which continually reloads:

Servers moving...

Our website is moving to new servers. Should you see this page, you have reached the new hardware which is not completely set up yet; you'll be redirected to the temporary website location in a few seconds, please excuse missing graphics ...

Has anyone been able to solve this problem?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

thomfam:

Quote Originally Posted by thomfam View Post
    ... and got into the Firewall and selected update.exe. ...
    It is SDUpdate.exe not "update.exe"!

If SDUpdate.exe is not authorized to access the internet you will get "No newer updates available".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default It Worked!!

I got 1.5.2 to download by changing my Firewall. I had meant SDUpdate.exe in my post, my quick typing I am afraid!

I have been using Comodo Firewall but I turned it off in favour of the Windows Vista Firewall. Comodo was becoming a little too invasive for my liking.

Anyway, I fired Comodo up again, turned off Windows Firewall and as soon as I got into "Update" after installing 1.5.2, Comodo asked for permission to allow sdupdate.exe to connect to the internet and the rest was just plain sailing.

During the downloads I got one crook checksum but that will be sorted out when I next update.

All seems to be working fine.

Food for thought for others having problems, it is most likely a Firewall issue.

Thanks to md usa spybot fan for keeping me at it.