Thread: Version 1.5.2.20 problem

Default Version 1.5.2.20 problem

Earlier today, using the updater, I installed the 02/06 definitions, but did not choose to use the option to upgrade to 1.5.2.20 from current 1.5.1.16 at that time. Several hours later, using updater, I decided to download/install 1.5.2 which was still checked on the updater, but the updater went as far as status window connecting to the address and stopped responding. Finally, I did an end task and deleted the empty file updater left on my desktop.

I tried to use the updater again but 1.5.2 was no longer listed as an option.

My question: I then downloaded the file from the Safer Networking website. Should I install over the old 1.5.1 version or uninstall the old version before installing 1.5.2?

Miki
    XP Home SP2
    IE 6 SP2
    Last edited by michhala; 2008-02-07 at 06:12. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by michhala View Post
    Earlier today, using the updater, I installed the 02/06 definitions, but did not choose to use the option to upgrade to 1.5.2.20 from current 1.5.1.16 at that time. Several hours later, using updater, I decided to download/install 1.5.2 which was still checked on the updater, but the updater went as far as status window connecting to the address and stopped responding. Finally, I did an end task and deleted the empty file updater left on my desktop.

I tried to use the updater again but 1.5.2 was no longer listed as an option.

My question: I then downloaded the file from the Safer Networking website. Should I install over the old 1.5.1 version or uninstall the old version before installing 1.5.2?

Miki
    XP Home SP2
    IE 6 SP2
    ADDENDUM: I found 5 or 6 files in C:\Program Files\Spybot Search and Destroy\Updates that were by name associated with 1.5.2 which I am holding in the Recycle Bin, plus mainapps152.zip and online (config settings for 152). Evidently some files got through after all.

I cannot find any in the Registry and don't know where else to look on the HD. I like to clean things manually and do not use a reg cleaner.

Miki

Hello,

Please uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy according to the following link:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
    Then download a fresh copy of Spybot - Search & Destroy:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Thank you......

Hi Sandra --I appreciate your prompt response.

My usual practice has always been to properly uninstall the old version, remove leftover files, and do a clean install of the new.....this is what I have done with Spybot S&D in the past and never had a problem.

Thank you again....

Miki
    Last edited by michhala; 2008-02-07 at 19:36.

This relates to something I am not clear about. At present I am running 1.5.2rc1, and it is usually a good idea to move beyond release candidates. However, I have only a slow dialup connection. Can I download the most recent version and install it over the top of what I have, or do I have to uninstall the old and install the new? In the latter case, I presume that I would lose all the meg after meg after meg of updates I have already tediously downloaded. (It took me almost an hour just to download a version itself, to say nothing of the updates.)

Hello,

You can install over it.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Problem with 1.5.2.20 - won't clean office 9.0 files

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and have posted this before - not sure if posted correctly. I would appreciate any help. V1.5.2.20 immediately closes upon fixing (removing) ms office 9.0 recent files. I have 1.5.2 installed on other computers and operates normally. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times - same problem.

Latest log reads as follows:

MS Office 9.0: [SBI $A64A964E] Recently used files (18 files) (Directory, nothing done)
    C:\Documents and Settings\FarrellNet\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent\