Thread: Possible conflict with AVG 7.5 Internet Security (Firewall?)

Question Possible conflict with AVG 7.5 Internet Security (Firewall?)

Hi, I just posted a lot about my issue on the recent thread about 'BitDefender compatibility'. I'll paste it in here:

I've been running Spybot (the latest versions) for years, and when I upgraded it yesterday (using the internal check for updates) everything went fine. Then I started having problems getting to web pages in Firefox (404/DNS errors), then my AVG Firewall shut off, then I lost all connectivity (to [both] PCs behind my router). I also had IE(7) open and it started opening up new windows and wouldn't stop. Every time I closed one, a few seconds later another would open.

At first I thought something had messed up the Winsock, so I ran "WinsockxpFix" [after] trying a regular release/renew. Neither solved the problem.

I ended up doing a system restore (and reset the router and Comcast [phone] modem), then scanned with AVG, and after that with SUPERAntiSpyware. I also checked things out with Process Explorer, Rootkit Revealer, Helios Lite, StartupRun, and HJT. The AV/Malware scans only found legit admin tools (damn false-positives!), and the rootkit scans showed nothing abnormal.

[This] PC is running XP MCE, and the other is running XP Home SP2. All updates are current.

Everything is back to normal now, but I still don't know exactly what the problem was. I've uninstalled Spybot until I find out the cause.

BTW, I recently switched [from] Avast 4.7 Home Edition and the old Sygate Personal Firewall [to] AVG 7.5 Internet Security (for one, because of the next version's inclusion of Exploit Prevention Labs "LinkScanner Pro" technology coming in the next [8.0] version).
    Right now I'm running LinkScanner Pro alongside AVG 7.5, and I ran it alongside the Avast-Sygate combination with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I never had any problems with Spybot S&D conflicting with anything before now.
    I run clean machines and have never had anything worse on my machines worse than tracking cookies. All my programs are kept up to date and I don't [knowingly] visit risky sites or do any P2P downloading/uploading.
    In fact I write a "TechAlert" blog for the local paper and preach 'safety' all the time!

I can't recall if I checked the md5 of the new Spybot 1.5.2 [.exe] against the one posted on the DL page, but since I did the update from within Spybot itself I wouldn't think that would be an issue. The files are 'integrity' checked by the program before they're allowed to be installed anyway.

Any ideas what caused this? I looked around for threads concerning AVG and Spybot 1.5.2 conflicts, but didn't see anything like this. And I can't figure out what the connection could be with the weird IE window behavior and losing Internet connectivity on my other PC that was [still] running Spybot S&D v1.5.1.15.

Where should I start? Should I try installing Spybot again with AVG 7.5 off?

*The good thing that comes with issues like this is that it's an opportunity to learn something new.

I'm running AVG 7.0 and installed SS&D 1.5.1.20 and have run it without any problem.

OPSYS=XP-PRO SP2 with IE 7.0
    Last edited by tom1573; 2008-02-09 at 07:55.

Default Does it have a firewall?

Tom1573, Does your "AVG 7.0" include the firewall? Thanks

No. I'm just using the anti-virus AVG. My firewall is COMODO.

Correction to my prior post-- I am running AVG7.5 anti-virus (Not 7.0)
    Last edited by tom1573; 2008-02-09 at 20:36.