Thread: Immunization update hangs on Global (Hosts)

Default Immunization update hangs on Global (Hosts)

Just downloaded the most recent update for Spybot S&D and the Immunization hangs on the last item, Global (Hosts). My Global (Hosts) is stuck showing 38 Unprotected items, out of a total of 7893. Have run it a few times and even rebooted, but still stuck. What to do?

Have version 1.5.16, latest update 1/23/2008. This is on my office desktop running Win2000Pro with plenty of RAM and hard disk space.

UPDATE: After re-running it 10 times, it finally updated all the Global (Hosts). Why the slowdown??

Thanks.
    Last edited by glnz2; 2008-01-27 at 19:46. Reason: Update finally worked on Global (Hosts).

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Please try the following:
    • Go into Spybot > Immunize.
    • Right click on the right hand pane and select "Deselect all".
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the right hand pane and under Windows check "Global (Hosts)".
    • Click the "Undo" button at the top of the right pane.
    • Then click the "Immunize" button at the top of the right pane.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Immunize Hangs

Hello, 1st time here. I took your advise on de-selecting, then immunize, that worked, now it's hanging on the Internet Explorer 2nd from bottom on that list. I got a email hacker, and I re- installed windows and McAfee and Spy Sweeper,then the Spybot S&d. And haven't been able to fully immunize since. I started immunize this morning at 7:12am and after work, at 3pm it was still same unprotected.Any help would be appreciated. Running WinXP,512 ram. Thanks a bunch

Default Still hanging ...

Dear md usa spybot fan:

Sorry, your steps aren't doing the trick. I've just updated to Spybot version 1.5.2.20, and the Immunization is still hanging on Global (Hosts). Please provide more info. This is my office Desktop with Win2000Pro. Thanks.

Hello,

If you are not immunizing with full administrator rights, Spybot-S&D might not have enough permissions to fully immunize all user accounts.

If you are using Windows Vista, you should also read this FAQ entry about
    getting Administrator rights under Vista: www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/42.html

Another thing though is that immunization only works properly while your browser is closed, since otherwise your browser will overwrite immunization from time to time from the settings it loaded when it was started.

Further please try the following:
    Open Spybot > Immunize > under Windows uncheck Global (Hosts). Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file > and then click on the "Add Spybot S&D hosts list" button. Go back into Spybot > Immunize
    The problem that not all global host entries have been immunized has also been discussed in our forum:
    Immunize
    Immunize Problems
    Immunize Global Hosts

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Finally updated Immunization of Global (Hosts)

Dear Sandra: Finally the update went through. After a number of attempts, Undo finally moved Global (Hosts)' entire immunization status to zero and then, on the next Immunize, Global (Hosts) went to fully immunized status. But it took many attempts. Surprised that it takes many passes -- I would have thought either it would never work or it would work easily. Why this middle ground? Thanks again.