Thread: Tea timer icon in system tray after upgrade

Default Tea timer icon in system tray after upgrade

I have today upgraded to 1.5 after some nervousness.

I created a restore point before doing so. Let me say first,
    I have used Spybot for three years and am very very happy with it.

However I am a basic user and I think I made an error when I left the tea timer option ticked on upgrade.

The problem was I could not remove the tea timer icon from my system tray even after I went and unchecked the resident option in tools menu. On reboot the icon kept reappearinig even after I had exited it previously. I then had a box pop up asking about a registry change which freaked me out!!

I decided to restore and redo the upgrade/download and fingers crossed seems okay.

Any ideas on what I did wrong and why that icon kept on coming back?
    Last edited by Debbie 58; 2008-02-11 at 21:20.

Well,when unchecking resident Teatimer on my own computer after looking at your question,I had a box popup in the lower right-hand corner saying that deleting Teatimer in system startup was denied,based on user decision,even though I got no prompts to Allow or Deny from Teatimer whatsoever,though it only happened the one time.After that,unchecking resident Teatimer closed Teatimer,and the Resident "Teatimer" box stayed unchecked in the Resident section,so I'm a bit perplexed.
    It shows in my resident.log like this,as if I'd denied it myself,too:
    2008-02-11 7:17:32 PM Denied (based on user decision) value "SpybotSD TeaTimer" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!

I'm not too sure if that's just a weird little one time thing happening with just mine,or if that may have been what was happening with yours,too.
    Did you notice a box popup in the lower right hand corner of your computer when you unchecked resident Teatimer before?

I think the resident.log stays from past installs,though I can't remember 100%,so if you go to Tools,Resident again,you could rightclick in the window to the right,click Select All,then rightclick again and select Copy,then Paste it here,and it may show what was happening with Teatimer.

Firstly thankyou Zenobia for your reply.

I did not notice a pop up when I disabled teatimer, however the pop up came when I attempted to close the icon in the system tray.

I have I think managed to obtain the log regarding what popped up and it is shown below.

11/02/2008 18:44:47 Denied (based on user decision) value "{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}" (new data: "") deleted in Browser Helper Object!

I have absolutely no idea what this may mean or if it has any significance!!

I am sure I did not see a box which gave me the option to accept or deny on the pop up and that is what made me panic in case I had modified the registry without knowledge of what I was doing. I did not tick the option to add Spybot to my start menu on installation by the way.

Teatimer seems to be switched off now following my system restore and reinstallation of 1.5.2 upgrade.
    Last edited by Debbie 58; 2008-02-12 at 17:54.

You're welcome.
    11/02/2008 18:44:47 Denied (based on user decision) value "{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}" (new data: "") deleted in Browser Helper Object!
    This shows that you denied resident sdhelper being deleted on February 11,2008.Is there any chance you may have mistakenly unchecked Resident "sdhelper" under Tools->Resident,instead of Resident "Teatimer"?

Hi there again, Zenobia.

Yes I did uncheck resident in the tools. (Shows how dangerous I am when dabbling with settings options!!)
    However Resident SD helper was still checked in the resident protection status but NOT teatimer.

I have now rechecked the resident option in tools but left teatimer unchecked in the box underneath Resident Sd helper.

There are no other entries in the box for me to copy and paste for you so I am assuming that no other logs exist.

I hope I now have the correct settings?

Hi.
    The resident sdhelper may have been still checked in Tools->Resident when you looked because you had Denied the change with Teatimer.
    Having it checked will leave you with sdhelper enabled.
    Having Resident "Teatimer" unchecked in Tools->Resident would be right,that will disable Teatimer,so those should be the correct settings.hth.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2008-02-12 at 20:15.