Thread: Scans in 6 seconds, what's wrong?

Default Scans in 6 seconds, what's wrong?

Scans in only 6 seconds, what's wrong?
    My knucklehead friend (good friend) has this this problem on 3 different computers. I don't have this problem. He swears he's getting SSD from legit locations. He's very knowlegeable with software. I Googled this & also searched this forum. Any ideas why his scans only take 6 seconds? Because I believe the usual is 2-5 minutes. Mine takes about 2-3 minutes. Thanks.
    There is no 100% software solution to safeguarding one's OS setup. Only redundancy in separate media i.e. another HDD, in my case. I clone (Acronis MigrateEasy) my HDD every 2-5wks.

Hello,

Perhaps his scan is limited.
    Please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

@spybotsandra my friend says that's not it.

Anybody have similar problem? Another idea? Thanks.
    There is no 100% software solution to safeguarding one's OS setup. Only redundancy in separate media i.e. another HDD, in my case. I clone (Acronis MigrateEasy) my HDD every 2-5wks.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Try updating with the manual update file. You can manually download and execute an update file from safer-networking.org:
    • Detection updates 2006-02-17 - product description
      md5: A2A7A6A3D7F8079EEDEE205173368947

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

If downloading and executing that file does not work, I suggest that you uninstall and reinstall the program.

Uninstall Spybot-S&D 1.4:
    • Go to Windows > Control panel > Add or Remove Programs > Locate "Spybot – Search & Destroy 1.4" > Remove.
    • Using Windows explorer, verified that the following folder has been delete. If not, delete it:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • Make sure that all the registry entries that Spybot-S&D added during installation are removed, there is a .reg file available on the safer-networking.org WEB site that can do that. See the following article:
    • Delete the Configuration.ini file
      • The Configuration.ini file is stored in one of the following folders:
        • Windows 95 or 98:
          C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
        • Windows ME:
          C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
        • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    Reinstall Spybot-S&D 1.4:
    • Execute the spybotsd14.exe installation program again.
    • Do not change the default installation path of:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
    • If you did not update during the installation, make sure that you update before running a scan, as follows:
      • Go into Spybot > Update
      • Click "Search for Updates"
      • Check everything found
      • Click "Download Updates"

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

There was another thread where someone was also having a few second scan. The picture he showed of his Advanced/settings/file sets showed that he did not have many of the search items.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2462

Check the thread out-if this is your friend's problem,then the info provided by MD USA could help-as it seems it helped that person.

Hope it works.

Never mind-see above.
    Last edited by stevek; 2006-02-18 at 15:38.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

stevek:

Thanks for caring and try to help. Now let's hope it works.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.