Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Here's a preview...

The newest version has a sticky here, so I just linked there to avoid having to update it in two places
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default Rootkits

221108 2355

Re; Rootkit screenshots - Item dated - Feb.12 2008

Apologies if my queries are either in the wrong Forum area or appear ignorant, but I am both new to this Forum &, as indicated below, my understanding of computers is basic

I would appreciate guidance, please

1.Could you please advise how I can access these screenshots referred to on 120208.
    I tried to, but was unsuccessful

2.Since my technical knowledge of computers is limited,
    may I please enquire whether the result of a rootkit scan would just produce a lot of alphanumerics which would be unintelligible to me

- or would I in the scan results receive some guidance as to whether the rootkits found are benign or malignant

3.a. Would the scan automatically quarantine the malignant rootkits?
    or-
    b. if I have to enter prior settings for the scan - what are the steps necessary to enter them & what typical settings might be appropriate, please, for general usage?

4. Finally, is the rootkit scanner currently offered a trial version or is it now fully tested so that it runs without creating problems

Thank you

1. What kind of "access" do you intend?
    Screenshots are here for forum readers to see them... are you unable to see them?

2. The help page explains the various kinds of rootkit technologies, but these still require some knowledge. Real guidance on understanding and categorizing the results would be a dozen printed pages or more to explain

3.a. RootAlyzer does not quarantine - or remove - anything. The danger that users who do not understand the results would remove the wrong things would be just too big.

Here, I should probably speak about the concept: RootAlyzer is a diagnosis help tool, not a removal tool. If you want to remove malware rootkits, Spybot-S&D uses the same techniques on known rootkits only. RootAlyzer on the other hand just shows everything that uses rootkit technologies (becausee the thing with rootkits is that you cant see them normally).

3.b. The only "settings" are to choose drives to scan. Scanning all can't harm

4. It does not create any problems. Bu tif you're just looking for rootkit detection, the functions integrated into Spybot-S&D should do for you without the need to learn to interpret RootAlyzers results.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)