Thread: most likely unknown spyware

Exclamation most likely unknown spyware

ok first time here so ill make this quick:

i constantly get pop ups after navigating through a few pages. for example, after going into my third or fourth page, one or two pop ups come up either on top of or behind current windows. spybot has not detected anything, nor had an anti virus (thought id be on the safe side). most of the ads have been blocked by teatimer and all i get for the blocked ones are blank pages, but the ads are becoming more frequent. what can i do about this?

Hello,

Though there are pop-ups caused/displayed by malware on users' systems, most pop-ups are implemented by websites and are are not causing any harm. The former pop-ups come up randomly and even with no website visited, the latter pop-ups do only come up when visiting the website that implemented it. As I said, the latter pop-ups do not affect your system and are "just" an annoyance. Thus, I will recommend some (free) pop-up blockers to you:

First thing to mention is, that there are alternatives to Internet Explorer, which should be considered, as - for example - Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/) or Opera (http://www.opera.com).
    Both of these are supposed to provide faster, safer and more efficient browsing than other browsers.
    What is more: they come with an integrated pop-up blocking function, which means they stop annoying pop-up ads automatically. And, of course, Firefox as well as Opera are freeware.

However, if you want to stay with IE, you can try some other solution. I recommend to have a look at the following page:
    http://www.popupcheck.com/pop_up_blocker.asp
    There, you will find the results of the Free Pop Up Blockers tests. You'll also notice that Mozilla Firefox covers fifth position.

From my point of view, the Google Toolbar is also recommendable. You can also consider Proximotron or Webwacher .
    I'll leave the choice to you, they are all ok.
    Hope it helps

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

ok so we are on the level, i consider myself thoroughly experienced with computers (i wasnt being hostile there), so you dont have to spare me the technical things.

i have used firefox ever since i heard of it, ive tweaked it to my liking, and i have Adblock Plus installed on it. i dont get firefox pop ups - i get IE pop ups while using firefox. to my knowledge, this computer has not been used to access untrustworthy sites, as i use this computer 95% of the time, and i know whats happening with the other 5% as well. this is why im stumped. even HJT logs have come back clean. spybot shows all my BHO's, ActiveX and LSP's to be legit and there is nothing bad on my startup list, or active processes as far as i can tell.

Might want to try infogenium's solution here?

Ad pop ups opening up in Internet Explorer - MozillaZine Forums

nope, nothing in that page worked - dead links

Quote Originally Posted by hiigaran View Post
    nope, nothing in that page worked - dead links
    Mozillazine seems to be down right now, but the uninstall app available at the bottom of this page is what fixed the problem there:

Edit: If anyone believes they have an infection which is not removed by normal means, please see,

"BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-02-12 at 17:01. Reason: Removed link

ok, i need to know how i can at least opt out of these websites. they are not on the spybot list however. this is the first and most annoying website i want to opt out from:

PHP Code:
    http://au.dada.net/home/ 
    i cant find an opt out page though
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-02-12 at 17:03. Reason: Mod: broke link

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by hiigaran View Post
    ok, i need to know how i can at least opt out of these websites.
    One can add sites to the Hosts file

The Hosts File and what it can do for you

Best wishes.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

nope, the sites added to the hosts list still come up. i even added the websites exactly the same way that was shown.