Thread: Secure Shredder Tosses My Cookies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Secure Shredder Tosses My Cookies

In S&D Tools>Secure Shredder>Templates, I add files from temp folder, and IE cache files, (but NOT from IE cookie files). After shredding, I find that all my log-on cookies for various sites are gone- a real nuisance, as I must log back on. It didn't use to do this. Is this now normal behaviour?

I'm using S&D v.1.4, and the "Resident SD Helper" but not TeaTimer, and WinXP. I also use Jason Levine's "CookieJar", which used to protect all my 'allowed' cookies from being deleted.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Post deleted.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-02-15 at 07:13.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

More info~

I narrowed it down to something in my IE cache files which, upon shredding, is deleting those logon cookies. Considering I have IE configured to empty my TIF upon closing, I guess this setting does not empty the IE cookie files, or one of the index.dat files that points to them.

One less tool in S&D to use, I suppose.

Red face Secure Shredder has deleted my .txt files

In S&D Tools>Secure Shredder>Templates, I add files from temp folder, and IE cookie files, (but NOT from IE cache files). After shredding, I find that all my unprotected .txt files larger than 1kb are gone. As a positive bonus, all my readme.txt and license.txt files are gone (even in my Spybot folder). Who uses those anyway?

I'm using S&D v.1.6.2 and WinXP.

Longshot, but anyway to resurrect some particular .txt files? Program is still running with list of files shredded, hoping for reply.

Default Need a tissue

Still an issue
    Shredder v. 1.9.0.0

Esteemed Member

For each (active) cookie in your cookies folder there is a corresponding file in your TIF folder (they are called cookie:your user name@somewwebsite; if you right click on one, click properties it tells you what cookie in your cookies folder it corresponds to).

Note the following:

1. If you delete a cookie manually in the cookies folder the corresponding file in your TIF folder does not get deleted (though of course it becomes inactive).

2. But if you delete one of those files manually in the TIF folder, it does delete the corresponding cookie in the cookies folder.

3. If you empty your TIF folder using IE's delete temporary files, it does not delete those files that correspond to cookies and therefore your cookies in your cookies folder also remain intact.

So it seems that Spybot's file shredder does delete those 'cookie' files in the TIF folder, and hence the corresponding cookies also get deleted.
    Last edited by Rosenfeld; 2010-06-22 at 13:47.