Thread: HELP! None of my programs will run!

Exclamation HELP! None of my programs will run!

Hello,
    I installed spybot and now I can not run any programs! I tried to go to a restore point but that program won't run either! I tried downloading a registry repair program, and again, it won't run! HELP!!!!!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

seattlehil:

It sounds like your problem maybe a file association problem with .exe files.

If you are running Windows XP, the following Web page has fixes for problems with file associations:

The fix for EXE files is:

NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.
    Thanks to Nigel Andrews for this tip.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

OK, now what do I do? I used the workaround tip and I do not know what to do now :-( Sorry, I'm a newbie

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Try the following:
    • Download the following file (xp_exe_fix.zip):
    • Extract the content of the xp_exe_fix.zip file (xp_exe_fix.reg) to a known location by right clicking on the the xp_exe_fix.zip file and selecting Extract All...
    • Double click on the extracted xp_exe_fix.reg to execute it (see note below).
      • Answer Yes then OK.

Note:
    • If double clicking on the extracted xp_exe_fix.reg file does not execute RegEdit, then execute RegEdit from Windows Task Manager as described above.
    • Once the Registry Editor is executing, go to the file menu and select Import...
    • Navigate to the extracted xp_exe_fix.reg file and open it.
      • Answer Yes then OK.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Bummer - I did the exact same thing. Someone who knows Regedit better than I do help me using the fix above. It will get you going again. I had to run this by opening task manager and click on "File" and then "New Task".

My system runs but a number of taskbar applications do not work. I have not figured out how to fix those. You may end up with the same issue one you get going again.

Good luck.