Thread: Sites that get you infected?

Arrow Sites that get you infected?

Hi, I recently got infected by malware demon Win32.Agent.pz. Right now I'm still waiting for one of the experts to help me.

So it got me thinking, (1) how much of a difference does it make when you choose to visit only "legit" sites, e.g., Amazon.com, Yahoo, forums, Livejournal, Facebook, etc.? Do people who visit only "legit" sites have far better chances of staying clean/uninfected?

Or (2), do trojans, malware, and viruses simply "find you" regardless of what sites you visit, making cautious site visitors just as vulnerable as someone who goes to ad- and popup-heavy pages?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Visiting certain types of sites does carry a greater risk than visiting others. Following the guidelines in this thread may help prevent some malware:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thank you for the thread. I found the info very useful, and I visited the test site that the thread refers too. Good information
    My friends call me Papa, you call me...Mr. Smurf.

Default cross site scripting, script hijacking and cross site phising

the ones named above is just a few of the reasons why all sites poses a potential threat
    i do recommend all my clients to browse through firefox using both noscript and ad block + addons because with this combination no malware can get into your system withour you downloading it voluntary

Talking

You could always use Mcafee SiteAdvisor to see which sites are good or bad, freeware.

It is pretty good but on rare occasion features false positives by marking green sites red.

Linky: http://www.siteadvisor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by XstormX View Post
    the ones named above is just a few of the reasons why all sites poses a potential threat
    i do recommend all my clients to browse through firefox using both noscript and ad block + addons because with this combination no malware can get into your system withour you downloading it voluntary
    From a post of mine:
    Mozilla FireFox 2.0.0.12 loaded with NoScript v1.4, FireKeeper 0.2.14, and AdBlock. - With these few addons in place, I have been very secure in my travels across the net. Since FireFox has gotten much more exposure, the script kiddies have written items, both good and bad, to deal with it. So, having these addons in my opinion is a must.

XstormX I couldn't agree with you more. There are just too many ways to get messed up with IE.
    My friends call me Papa, you call me...Mr. Smurf.