Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SD Helper stops Internet Explorer opening

Talking

No problem
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Default Ie7

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    To answer your first question i'd say it is highly likely that it is.

To answer your second question you've got 4 choices:

(1) Use Spybot 1.4

(2) Uninstall the Google Toolbar (I wouldn't bother trying the The Google Toolbar 5.0 Beta as there have been lots of reports of it's instability) and wait for the 5.0 Final version of the Google Toolbar or wait till the SD Helper has been fixed.

(3) Upgrade to IE 7 or Try another Browser.

(4) Don't use the SD Helper.
    i have IE7 and google toolbar and have the same issue. i have disabled the sd helper. should i uninstall google instead? is the sd helper that critical to have running? thanks

Lightbulb

The SD Helper blocks bad programs, cookies etc from downloading so it is important. I have Google and IE 7 running with the SD Helper and no problems.

What version of the Google Toolbar are you running? The latest stable version is 4.0.1602.1060.

Another thing you could try is uninstalling Google, remove all traces of it and then re-install it.

Lightbulb

If your up to it you could also try the Internet Explorer 8 beta 1 and see if that makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    If your up to it you could also try the Internet Explorer 8 beta 1 and see if that makes any difference.
    Unless a beta tester, not something I would recommend yet.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...rites-bar.aspx
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

I've been having issues with this same IE6 failure to fire up, since I upgraded to Spybot S&D 1.5.2.20 yesterday. I'm glad I'm not alone!

I also have Google Toolbar installed, whose Help>About shows version 4.0.1601.4978-big/en-GB (GZEZ)

I use SDHelper, but not Teatimer, and have found that I can enable immunisation as follows:

Firefox
    default (Cookies) - YES
    default (Images) - YES
    default (Installations - YES
    default (Popups) - YES

Internet Explorer (32-bit)
    \SOFTWARE (Cookies) - YES
    \SOFTWARE (Domains) - YES
    \SOFTWARE (IPs) - YES
    \SOFTWARE (Plugins) - YES

Internet Explorer (32/64 bit)
    DEFAULT (Cookies) - YES
    DEFAULT (Domains) - NO
    DEFAULT (IPs) - YES
    Administrator (Cookies) - NO
    Administrator (Domains) - NO
    Administrator (IPs) - NO
    myusername (MYPCNAME) (Cookies) - NO
    myusername (MYPCNAME) (Domains) - NO
    myusername (MYPCNAME) (IPs) - NO

Windows
    Global (Hosts) - YES

If I enable anything marked YES above, the IE6 browser window will appear fine when attempting to open it. If I enable anything marked NO above, then I can pretty guarantee NOT to see the browser window if I try to open a link (particularly any links from within email messages).

Other info that might be relevant:

(a) I'm using Windows XP version 2002 SP2 fully patched.
    (b) I'm using Internet Explorer version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254 (and have no intention of installing the bloaty IE7 anytime soon, nor going near Vista with a ten-foot-long bargepole! )
    (c) for email, I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird version 2.0.0.12 (20080213) though I am NOT using the Mozilla Firefox browser (unless it is hardwired inside the email client, like IE's browsing guts were, as used by Outlook Express).

I also have no idea whether the settings above are giving me full, or even 'enough' immunisation protection - but at least I can leave these settings on and still operate the browser. Perhaps someone official can let us know whether this is a safer set of settings to use until the main problem has been overcome by a future release of either Google Toolbar or Spybot itself?

I hope this is info useful to someone in the debug process, or in setting it up for their own use! I know I nearly lost my hair until I found this thread and realised it wasn't just me having messed something up in the removal of Spybot S&D 1.4!

Regards
    Neil

OK - so it's bad form to follow-up one's own posts, I know... but I can't seem to edit my post above.

On further examination, I think I must have been observing some kind of 'freak event' above... at the time, it did seem as if I COULD enable some of those listed immunisation features and the browser would open... however, it's apparent now that it's still NOT working reliably. Sometimes the browser will STILL not open correctly when using the QuickLaunch IE icon, but if I hit that icon maybe six times, I will see maybe two browser windows appear, after a short while. The rest end up as 'hung tasks' (iexplore.exe) in the Processes tab of Task Manager.

It's proving impossible to debug sensibly, so I've just disabled ALL immunisation for the time being. :(

I hope someone can fix this - browser-immunisation sounds like a great idea, and I'd love to have it - but at the moment, it feels more like browser-amputation, and that's a bit excessive for my needs!

Just to update the thread, I've now updated to the latest Beta version of Google Toolbar but the problem still seems to be there - so for the moment I'm having to keep sdhelper.dll disabled.

Hope to hear of a solution soon ?

Lightbulb

The main reason I upgraded to IE 7 was because one of my favourite sites stopped working and as soon as I upgraded the site worked again and as bonus side affect IE Started working again. My theory is that there is something in IE 6 that is causing a Memory Leak (or something similar) whilst The Google Toolbar and the SD Helper are active.

I don't know if this will help/confirm anything, but I've been using IE7 with the Google Toolbar for a long time now and had Spybot S&D 1.4 installed when I updated to IE7. I now have Spybot S&D 1.5.2.20 and have never experienced any problems on the few occasions when I use IE7. I have always had the SD Helper enabled.
    My advice would be either to use IE7 or Firefox (my default browser). Opera's fine too. You can also get the Google Toolbar for Firefox.