Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SD Helper stops Internet Explorer opening

I have been playing with this problem for a couple of months now. As reported in another thread here, I determined the problem is definitely Google Toolbar related (makes no difference what version of the toolbar). Therefore, I unloaded the toolbar in favor of the additional security provided by SD Helper. After a couple of weeks, to my complete dismay, I discovered, according to its own performance statistics, SD Helper was doing NOTHING. It occurred to me that I am also running SpywareBlaster (it is free and used to be recommended by Spybot S&D). It appears that when one is using SpywareBlaster, SD Helper is completely unnecessary and ineffective. Additionally, SpywareBlaster has no negative effects on Google Toolbar.

On the rare occasions that I use IE7, I've found that SD Helper does 'do something'. Despite having both the Google Toolbar and SpywareBlaster. If I try go to a 'bad' page, it tells me it's blocking it or denying access, something like that. I only know this because there's a test page where you can check it out, but I can't find the post with the link in.

Perhaps it's just me but my problem didn't start until I updated to the latest version of Spybot / sdhelper. I didn't change google toolbar at that time so that would seem to suggest to me that something changed in sdhelper.dll that now causes the conflict when used with ie6 ?

giverny: "Perhaps it's just me but my problem didn't start until I updated to the latest version of Spybot / sdhelper. I didn't change google toolbar at that time so that would seem to suggest to me that something changed in sdhelper.dll that now causes the conflict when used with ie6 ?"

Exactly! Yours is apparently the very same problem everyone else with this complaint is experiencing. The problem isn't the fault of Google Toolbar...the problem is SD Helper in the recent version(s) of Spybot. I am running SpywareBlaster and have disabled SD Helper. I also do not run TeaTimer simply because it eats up way too many system resources.
    Last edited by Mervich; 2008-03-25 at 05:36.

I concur with Mervich's take on this - you're certainly not alone, Giverny, and he's right about the root of the problem being SDHelper.DLL in some way, shape or form.

Like you, I didn't have any problem until I upgraded SpyBot S&D to version 1.5.2.20 (having previously been on 1.4.something for quite a while).

During that time, I have not had cause to update Google Toolbar (still on 4.0.1601.4978-big/en-GB (GZEZ) so nothing's changed there), and I'm using the same version of IE6 (6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254) as I was before, so no change there either.

The ONLY factor which has altered, is SpyBot.

Alas, I'm not in a position to upgrade to IE7 currently (nor for the forseeable), as I REQUIRE IE6 running on this machine for backwards-compatibility testing of websites. Not that I really WANT IE7 on here either, to be honest.

At the moment, I've just had to disable the SDHelper.DLL and be very, very careful about where I go! I'm grateful to the developers for producing such a fine and public-spirited piece of free kit as SpyBot, but I'll be very, very keen to see the current problem with SDHelper resolved. And I don't mean to appear ungrateful, when I say that, by the way!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Mervich:
    BigJacko:

Quote Originally Posted by Mervich View Post
    … The problem isn't the fault of Google Toolbar...the problem is SD Helper in the recent version(s) of Spybot. …
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJacko View Post
    I concur with Mervich's take on this - you're certainly not alone, ... and he's right about the root of the problem being SDHelper.DLL in some way, shape or form. ...
    Although you may well be correct, I don't understand how you came to that conclusion since both work independently in Internet Explorer 6 without a problem. There only seems to be a problem when both are run together. Is your conclusion based on the fact that you had the Google Toolbar before you upgraded to Spybot 1.5?

In that case I would have to assume that people who are running the Spybot 1.5 SDHelper BHO with IE 6 and then add the Google Toolbar, would come to the completely opposite conclusion.

Oil and water don't mix. Is that the oil's fault, the water's fault, or is it whichever you add last to the mix?
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-03-26 at 19:04.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Mervich:
    BigJacko:

Although you may well be correct, I don't understand how you came to that conclusion since both work independently in Internet Explorer 6 without a problem. There only seems to be a problem when both are run together. Is your conclusion based on the fact that you had the Google Toolbar before you upgraded to Spybot 1.5?

In that case I would have to assume that people who are running the Spybot 1.5 SDHelper BHO with IE 6 and then add the Google Toolbar, would come to the completely opposite conclusion.

Oil and water don't mix. Is that the oil's fault, the water's fault, or is it whichever you add last to the mix?
    The conclusion is simple, not so much down to timing but what products have changed. Both the old versions of Google Toolbar and sdhelper worked together fine with Explore 6. When the new version of sdhelper was released the problems started - thus the question has to be what is different between the old / new versions of sdhelper because all other items are the same namely google toolbar and explorer 6 - neither has changed ?

Quote Originally Posted by giverny View Post
    The conclusion is simple, not so much down to timing but what products have changed. Both the old versions of Google Toolbar and sdhelper worked together fine with Explore 6. When the new version of sdhelper was released the problems started - thus the question has to be what is different between the old / new versions of sdhelper because all other items are the same namely google toolbar and explorer 6 - neither has changed ?
    Just wondering whether anyone has any thoughts yet on how to progress through this problem (without having to upgrade to Explorer 7), I surely can't be the only person with this problem ?